Linguaholic

The multilingual idioms thread // Crowdsourcing Project

linguaholic

Dear All

Idioms are hard to translate. That's why I would like ALL of you to participate in this little task/game. I created a new Google Documents List and listed some of the most popular English idioms/sayings. Please help to translate them into your language. I already added some languages. Feel free to add your language if not yet on the list and provide the translation. Only translate the idiom if there is actually an idiomatic/metaphorical equivalent in your language. Feel free to add new English idioms as well. The English idioms are in alphabetical order, so when adding new idioms, make sure you add them at the right place.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1hSeZC1VuczQsbxgWnomagUcfGqETh07BHDqRRvp9QfE/edit?usp=sharing

Happy contributing! Thanks for your support 

Edited by linguaholic

Study With Us on Discord for FREE!

I've added a couple Russian ones but only those that I immediately came to mind. I'll have a look later when I do some research, then maybe I'll find some more equivalents.

I am done adding some. I am not sure though if the entries I put in the spreadsheet were automatically saved. This is my first time to use google docs.

Yes, Google saves that stuff automatically. Don't worry about it :=)

I've added some in Serbian, but they are in Serbian Latin (we have two scripts and use there equally, although in recent years Latin has been overcoming Cyrilic) and hope that's not a problem. There's one really long one and it's a literal translation, but that is also a common saying in Serbian, so I hope that's okay. 

Hello there. i put some Serbian equivalents like An arm an a leg - Kao svetog Petra kajgana; From scratch - Od nule.

I put several others but i know alot more. The thing is they are not present in the English section. Tell me if i can add some English idioms to so i could put Serbian as well.

Idioms like On cloud nine, Bull in a china shop or even to add fuel in the fire...

Reply here and i will make a good list for you. Cheers.

This is nice. I added a few equivalent Tagalog idioms. Just realized that there are also many Tagalog idioms, but can't seem to think of the exact English equivalents. Some of the English idioms listed are also new to me. :) How about adding a "meaning" column after the English column. Perhaps, with the meaning - it might trigger an equivalent idiom of the local language.

• 4 weeks later...

This is the best idea I've seen in a long time! How did you build this? I would love to create something like this for just my language and my friends who are trying to learn it. I am a 6 yr language student of Malagasy. But it is not my native tongue. Do you still want me to put the translation? Or would you rather have native speakers only contribute? GREAT idea for a post! 

• 3 weeks later...

I added a few Spanish translations today, I will add more but there are some idioms I am not very familiar with.  English idioms are not specially easy to translate into Spanish, but I will do my best :)   

• 2 months later...

Hello :)

I've added some Romanian idioms, but they are not the translations of the English one, but the expressions used in Romanian.

Nice idea, by the way :) 

18 minutes ago, ioana said:

Hello :)

I've added some Romanian idioms, but they are not the translations of the English one, but the expressions used in Romanian.

Nice idea, by the way :) 

Thanks a lot. Of course it does not have to be a 1-to-1 translation into the target language. It should be/sound as natural as possible, but the basic semantic meaning of the source language should be conserved, if possible. If not, it does not make any sense to do a list like this :=)

Wow! That is so cool that you are crowdsourcing idioms. I would never think to do that. I hope you publish your findings because that is one book that I would love to read. I love gaining insight and wisdom from idioms around the world. If you need help editing, I would do it!

I'm having trouble scrolling down. Its probably my lack of excel skills or whatever program you used. I love the idea. I don't have a lot though I know of yet in Malagasy but I'm sure there are some proverbs that would fit. I'm going to use this as an activity when I'm with my native speaking friends. 

• 4 months later...

This is a great idea!  I wish there was a book just on idiom for Japanese and Korean.  When I read manga and manhwa, watch day shows, and dramas there are always unique references to idioms that are completely foreign to me.  I think understanding idioms and symbolism can be half the battle when trying to learn a language.  Understanding idioms is one of the deeper aspects of learning a language.

I think that this is one inspired idea. I also am not fluent enough in a second language to contribute but I will soon and your list will serve as a great learning resource for a lot of people. I will try to get some from my other Chinese speaking friends. They should probably have a few to add to your list. 

Really great idea. I also am not ready to contribute yet, but I'm quite sure that I will do so in the near future. This will certainly be of great assistance to a lot of people. 

Hi admin! :) I would just like to say that what you did is a really wonderful project. Something where everyone can share and contribute on for learning. I noticed that others have already filled up some slots. I have added a few but I will research on the other idioms first and then I will get back to the list soon.