Linguaholic

Writing games

anna3101

Hi,

I'm sure I've seen the subject of word games like Scrablle discussed somewhere on the forum but I haven't seen anyone share their thoughts about writing games.

Do any of you like these? Any good ones you can recommend?

I'm a big fan of creating stories from given words. These days I use story cubes but before I bought them we would just pick 10-15 words at random, and each person had to write a story, incorporating all the words inside. It has never ceased to amaze me just how how different those stories always are, even those they are inspired by exactly the same words.

Another nice game is creating poetry - each person adds two lines, and finally, as a result of hard group work, some funny poem emerges.

Then there's also writing in different  genres - one title is chosen for everybody, and each person must write their own piece of work: news report, detective story, horror, romance, memoirs etc. This one is also very fun.

I really enjoy trying to write in a foreign language and combining learning and pleasure.

Please let me know if you like similar games, I'm always on the lookout for more of those!

Maybe we could play some here, inside the English subforum...?

Ania

Study With Us on Discord for FREE!

Chris_A, I'll count you in :) Maybe we should organise some kind of language game evening on Skype. Could be fun! Nothing beats the author reading his/her own story out loud :)

I'd also love to play some word games -- they've always been popular in my family, and using them to learn a new language would be fantastic.

Does anyone happen to know, as a sidenote, if there are any good free online word games in other languages? I haven't had much luck searching.

Skyfox, I remember when I was still a Facebook user some years ago, there were some nice word games you could play there. I definitely remember Spanish and French were among the languages I could find. Also, there are many phones apps where you can play with other players. Or with yourself :)

I'm very happy that we have another player for our future writing  games! I have so many ideas :) It'll be fun!

Chris_A, I'll count you in :) Maybe we should organise some kind of language game evening on Skype. Could be fun! Nothing beats the author reading his/her own story out loud :)

That sounds like a good idea for sure. I could read some stuff in Romanian, and see if some Spanish or Italian speaking people would understand certain words and sentences, which would prove that Romanian is closely related to these Latin based languages. :D

Edited by Chris_A