Linguaholic

Do you feel odd about using rare Tagalog terms?

kurdapia

Do you find it odd or do you get laughed at when you use some unfamiliar or rarely used Tagalog terms? Terms like naninibugho instead of nagseselos, busilak and dalisay. Do you think it is not cool to use them anymore?

Study With Us on Discord for FREE!

It sounds strange when used in daily use to be honest, but in the right context it can be more meaningful and touching. We had a phase in high school where anyone who can use the deepest Tagalog words were the coolest people. I was awful at it and could only guess what they meant :laugh: The really cool ones are the Tagalog words for the subjects in class: sipnayan is math, tatsihan is trig, liknayan is physics, kapnayan is chem, etc.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/11/2015, 6:13:07, foolsgold said:

It sounds strange when used in daily use to be honest, but in the right context it can be more meaningful and touching. We had a phase in high school where anyone who can use the deepest Tagalog words were the coolest people. I was awful at it and could only guess what they meant :laugh: The really cool ones are the Tagalog words for the subjects in class: sipnayan is math, tatsihan is trig, liknayan is physics, kapnayan is chem, etc.

Wow! I never knew Math, Physics, Trigonometry, and Chemistry have Filipino equivalent! Do you have other examples? I am very curious.

I have not encountered someone say something in deep Tagalog. If I would hear someone saying it in daily life, I would kowtow to that person. No kidding!

• 3 weeks later...

It is not cool to use deep Filipino words because they're not used in casual conversations anymore. Imagine you're talking to a friend, of course, the talk will be very informal, then you would suddenly blurt out Filipino terms that s/he does not hear anywhere. It will be awkward and funny to hear. Even in formal conversation, as in the classroom, during Filipino class, I could not remember my Filipino teacher using really deep Filipino words. Or recitations in Filipino class did not really require us to be using those words unless needed in the subject. 

I once used the word "kasintahan" because I couldn't think of a tagalog word for boyfriend/girlfriend that is gender neutral. The only other word I can think of that time was "jowa" which isn't really proper tagalog so I used "kasintahan" instead.

Yes, I did get laughed at.

While they may appear as rare and hardly in use by the average Filipino, the more educated ones would find the use of these words very useful.  For the average Filipino, these rare words would hear strange to them.  But in my case, I would try to absorb them into my own vocabulary as far as practicable, and if I am not familiar with it, I will simply look for its meaning in the dictionary.  However, English is more widely used these days, and as a result, these words have nearly fallen out of use.

• 4 months later...

I enjoy using rare/deep Tagalog words especially when talking to my friends. They find it funny and amusing at the same time. I don't really think it's awkward. It is a way to share knowledge.