Linguaholic

Hello from Malaysia!

BrianL

Hi guys! My name is Brian and like many of you I'm a self-confessed polyglot and language geek.

I used to be pretty active on this forum a while back, before my various commitments and projects began taking up too much of my time :). However, I am now trying to make an effort to at least participate more in this very interesting community.

My first languages are Malay and Chinese (specifically the Minnan dialect of Southern Fujian Province in China as well as in Taiwan). My working languages on a day-to-day basis are English and French although I've recently started working on improving my German and Turkish. I lived for a long time in various parts of Asia and Europe and am thus also fairly fluent in Mandarin, Tagalog, Hindi, Burmese and spoken Tamil.

I'm fascinated by indigenous cultures and have recently begun studying Siberian and Navajo shamanism. As such I am deeply interested in Central Asian, North American Native and Australian aboriginal languages, although by no means am I fluent in any of these languages ;).

Dear Brian

It is a big honor to have you back on linguaholic.com! I hope you are enjoying the new forum design/software! If there is anything I can do for you, please let me know!

All the best

Lingua

PS: I see that you decided to make a new account. Is there a problem with your old account? If yes, please let me know. I am sure I can fix it.

Hello BrianL!

Welcome back, it is really impressing you can speak so many languages!

Shamanism is a very interesting topic, I hope you'll discuss it here. I lived in Siberia for a long time but our town was far too "modern" to have much of indigenous culture left.

Ania

Hi @BrianL it is great to see that someone is so much interested in languages and that languages work awesomely for you. You have got me inspired, and motivated to turn to some more languages other that my native language and English, as my second language.

I have learned Greek, French and Russian in my life, but without much success, mainly since I was not exposed to those languages as much as I should be, or because I have not had any particular reason to speak them, thus improve the knowledge of them, too. I am not trying to find any excuse here for not brushing up on them more. Maybe it was because of my other preoccupations that took hold of my life. However, I will make sure I revise at least Greek so that I can know some expressions,etc. one day when I finally pay Greece a visit.

Thanks @pesic87 ! Everyone's a little bit different, and learning languages is quite a personal matter, some people prefer one technique over another. I think the important thing is to know yourself; what types of learning methods work best for you how you can incorporate them relevantly into your life. I have a Scandinavian friend who started learning Chinese because he was interested in learning how to cook authentic Chinese regional cuisine. He now speaks at least two Chinese dialects, so I guess having one hobby stimulate another worked to his advantage ;)

Anyway, good luck on you language-learning adventure!

Thanks @pesic87 ! Everyone's a little bit different, and learning languages is quite a personal matter, some people prefer one technique over another. I think the important thing is to know yourself; what types of learning methods work best for you how you can incorporate them relevantly into your life. I have a Scandinavian friend who started learning Chinese because he was interested in learning how to cook authentic Chinese regional cuisine. He now speaks at least two Chinese dialects, so I guess having one hobby stimulate another worked to his advantage ;)

Anyway, good luck on you language-learning adventure!

You are welcome @BWL !

Yes, you are correct, everyone of us turn to the way that works best for our personality or way of learning, when it comes to learning any language.

I understand your friend perfectly and it is a great motivation to see that one thing in life can lead to another. Great job for your friend-Chinese seems too hard for me though,but I guess not impossible.

One more thing that can motivate you to turn to another language is certainly a situation where you fell for a person coming from a different/foreign country, speaking different language, etc. Once I started learning Icelandic language because I was head over heals about one boy from Iceland. I was so enthusiastic about the language, but once he broke up with me, unfortunately, I lost both my motivation, my teacher, and my will to move on with language acquisition. That made me sad, but I just could not find any reason to go on. Sad, but true...