Linguaholic

Online Translation Apps

Has anyone tried using an online translation website or app?  I find them to be very bad.  These's websites give me back a sentence that doesn't make sense at all.  I think when translating it is important to have an actual person do it compared to a computer.  Computers aren't able to correct grammar or make sure the sentence makes sense before translating something.  This is a warning to anyone who is thinking about using one!

I think online translation sites/apps are only good for a word or two. You can use it to look up words, but if you want to translate sentences, then it's best to avoid it. They usually give gibberish or very ungrammatical translations. 

I mainly translate between Serbian and English and usually it's pretty bad. When I have large chunks to translate, I would just rather translate the stuff myself. I used to do this thing where I would translate the text via the app and then correct the mistakes manually. Not fun. Truth be told, it would probably take a lot of time to make a reliable translator app that can translate few paragraphs and still have them make sense. Like @Miya said, online translators are only good for when you can't find the word you're looking for.

Edited by agentzero

• 1 month later...

I agree.  Most of my problems come in when idioms are what I need translated.  Most of the online translators don't have idioms programmed in, which makes it difficult for me because I listen to a lot of Spanish music, which uses slang, idioms, etc.