Linguaholic

German Senior Project 2016

Hi all,

I'm a senior in high school and for my senior project I've decided to learn German. How I came upon the idea is because I read an article earlier in the year that was about free college in Germany. I soon started researching the topic learning all I could. Then just 2 weeks ago I found a organization that focuses on sending US students to Germany. I started talking to the rep and he said I should start learning German now so then I would be able to get around day to day. From then on, I decided to learn german. I will be skypeing a native speaker for 10 lessons and I decided to use this forum to be able to document my process for my teacher and to be able to get feedback. If you have a tip on something I post, go ahead and post it, any help is welcome. 

Study With Us on Discord for FREE!

Hi all,

I'm a senior in high school and for my senior project I've decided to learn German. How I came upon the idea is because I read an article earlier in the year that was about free college in Germany. I soon started researching the topic learning all I could. Then just 2 weeks ago I found a organization that focuses on sending US students to Germany. I started talking to the rep and he said I should start learning German now so then I would be able to get around day to day. From then on, I decided to learn german. I will be skypeing a native speaker for 10 lessons and I decided to use this forum to be able to document my process for my teacher and to be able to get feedback. If you have a tip on something I post, go ahead and post it, any help is welcome. 

Hi there

Feel free to document about your learning process here on linguaholic.com. I am curious to see how it goes. 

regards

L

• 2 weeks later...

I'm 3 weeks in and learning the basics so far. I've learned simple conversation starters such as "Mein Name ist Ben. Ich bin achtzehn Jahre alt." I like the way I'm learning as well. I have a native speaker tutor over Skype. I'm using Monika Reimann's, Essential Grammar of German. But I would like a recommendation on a good English-German dictionary. Now, we started talking about the tenses of verbs, but the Perfect Tense and past perfect tense conjugations are confusing me a little. Any suggestions?

Besides that, I'm liking the language so far! 

As far as dictionaries go, you might want to get something like this (if you are looking for a hard copy):

http://www.amazon.de/gro%C3%9Fe-Oxford-W%C3%B6rterbuch-Englisch-Deutsch-Deutsch-Englisch/dp/3068013046

If you are looking for an online dictionary, please have a look here. You will find other great resources for studying German in this list as well:

Moreover, I can recommend www.linguee.com. They also feature English/German and German/English and they provide contextual examples, which is definitely a plus.

regards

Lingua

• 1 month later...

I've been off for a while but I'm still doing my lessons. I think I'm about 7 or 8 weeks in and still learning the many complex grammar rules. I want to start learning phrases and questions. Anyone know anyway to start that on my own? 

To learn German type English words or phrases here and read the translation.

What is your name?  Wie heißen Sie? (click audio symbol to listen pronunciation)

https://translate.google.co.in/#en/de/What%20is%20your%20name%3F

Wie heißen Sie?  v i:   h aɪ   ə n   z i: (IPA) >vii haai an zii ?  ə /Schwa-a

http://tom.brondsted.dk/text2phoneme/transcribeit.php