Linguaholic

A common, "micro" language that takes 1 hour to learn

Eli Stutz

I've invented a universal language called Kipi with just 30 words. It's different than all other languages since it takes only one hour to learn. The idea is that most people in the world don't have focused time to learn a language, and that's why all other universal languages (like Esperanto) have not gained mass adoption. You can only say a few basic things in Kipi, but isn't having a small set of words in common better than no words? What's nice about Kipi compared to English, is that it uses sounds that are most common to world languages, so it's much easier to learn. Words are short, usually 2-syllables each. Some words represent full phrases. The idea is that it also puts both parties on even footing (there is no native speaker vs. non-native speaker - everyone is on common ground). Kipi is now translated into 25 languages and counting. I hope you'll take a look at Kipi and let me know what you think! Kiputi (thank you!) Eli Stutz.

KipiSpeaker2.png

OK this is mind boggling , how have you managed to fit all the words in the English language into 30 words? Is it correct though, can you express yourself correctly. This is something I'd love to learn and keep updated on. Strange concept and who actually created Kipi, was it you ?  

This is a very weird thing to do. Weird as in vast majority of people wouldn't even think about something like this.

Anyway, I feel like the simplicity is the point, but that still makes it hard to learn because every word is a different combination of the same 8 letters in two syllables. They all just look the same. To me it feels like you'd have to learn them all by heart and nobody would be able to logically remember a word if they forget. Granted, it's only 30 words total, but still.

Hi Atanas,

It was me, I admit :). Kipi doesn't have all English words, only 30 words - 17 basic words (like Hello, Thank you and Sorry), and 13 complex words (phrases condensed into one Kipi word, like "Can we be friends?"). I had to choose very carefully which words they would be, and tried to think of a traveler as a common user, so several of the words are common traveler words.

Agentzero - it was a challenge to make each word sound different from each other. I had to make some sacrifices along the way. If you have some more suggestions for words that would sound different using the 9 nine letters I'm using, I'm open to ideas.

Thanks,

Eli

Wow @Eli Stutz, you created a whole new 'language'! That's to be commended, so well done! May I ask what motivated you to do so? How did you come up with the name Kipi, and where would people actually use the language? Now if only all languages had such a small vocabulary LOL

6 hours ago, Eli Stutz said:

It's not much more complicated (actually, the idea is for it to be very simple). But you can say a lot more than ugh. How did cave men say "I love you" and "where are you from?".

I could be wrong, but I think the "I love you" conversation went something like this:

Caveman: Ugh!

Cavewoman: Ugh.

And the "where are you from" conversation went something like this:

Local Caveman: Ugh?

Strange Caveman: Ugh!

20 hours ago, Eli Stutz said:

Hi Atanas,

It was me, I admit :). Kipi doesn't have all English words, only 30 words - 17 basic words (like Hello, Thank you and Sorry), and 13 complex words (phrases condensed into one Kipi word, like "Can we be friends?"). I had to choose very carefully which words they would be, and tried to think of a traveler as a common user, so several of the words are common traveler words.

Agentzero - it was a challenge to make each word sound different from each other. I had to make some sacrifices along the way. If you have some more suggestions for words that would sound different using the 9 nine letters I'm using, I'm open to ideas.

Thanks,

Eli

Well first I have to ask why are you setting the limit at 9 letters? I mean, obviously the simplicity is the big appeal of the whole thing, but adding few more letters like S or D or R would add so much variety. They can still remain short words, just with different letters.

Hi Agentzero,

I chose 9 letters based on research that has been done on what sounds are most common to the most people and languages (see: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phoneme  and http://web.phonetik.uni-frankfurt.de/upsid_info.html). I also consulted with several linguists on this point. The consensus was that the 9 letters I chose were probably the right ones, with the possible addition of 's'. I debated adding 's', but did not in the end (or yet), since different people/languages tend to say 's' somewhat differently, people with lisps have trouble with it, and in general, I have the (possibly misguided) impression that it is a somewhat negative sound (like if you just say 'ssss' at someone - it sounds like a snake hissing. With just thirty words, 9 sounds should be enough to create words that are different enough from each other to be identifiable. I hope that makes sense. But I might add s at some point if more people feel as you do. :)

Hi Lushlala,

Thanks! I was going to call the language Mika, and then discovered its the name of a popular UK singer. I was looking for a name that was short and included some of the 9 sounds in the language. My wife suggested Kipi, and I liked the sound of it. Kipi is meant to be used by anyone anywhere. It can be used by two people who have no common language, or even by people who speak the same language, for fun. It can be used as an alternative for English in cases where one person is a native speaker and the other is not. It puts everyone on equal footing, since Kipi is no one's native language or everyone's (depending on how you look at it) I hope that answers your question.

Best,

Eli

Wow, this is a really good idea and lots of respect to you for even attempting to create something like this. I will definitely check it out. If you can really learn it in 1 hours, it will be cool to add another language to those I already know. :D

Haha this is awesome. I need to tell you you are putting my mind at ease now - meaning, I would love if everyone would learn your language and then we all would be equal in some respect, talking the same language. Since it takes so little time to learn, everyone would be able to learn it. Now, we just need to create one country and we can all move there, too! Wouldn't that just be great?

@Eli Stutz you are just awesome! Need to tell all my friends about this. :)

21 hours ago, Eli Stutz said:

Hi Agentzero,

I chose 9 letters based on research that has been done on what sounds are most common to the most people and languages (see: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phoneme  and http://web.phonetik.uni-frankfurt.de/upsid_info.html). I also consulted with several linguists on this point. The consensus was that the 9 letters I chose were probably the right ones, with the possible addition of 's'. I debated adding 's', but did not in the end (or yet), since different people/languages tend to say 's' somewhat differently, people with lisps have trouble with it, and in general, I have the (possibly misguided) impression that it is a somewhat negative sound (like if you just say 'ssss' at someone - it sounds like a snake hissing. With just thirty words, 9 sounds should be enough to create words that are different enough from each other to be identifiable. I hope that makes sense. But I might add s at some point if more people feel as you do. :)

Hi Lushlala,

Thanks! I was going to call the language Mika, and then discovered its the name of a popular UK singer. I was looking for a name that was short and included some of the 9 sounds in the language. My wife suggested Kipi, and I liked the sound of it. Kipi is meant to be used by anyone anywhere. It can be used by two people who have no common language, or even by people who speak the same language, for fun. It can be used as an alternative for English in cases where one person is a native speaker and the other is not. It puts everyone on equal footing, since Kipi is no one's native language or everyone's (depending on how you look at it) I hope that answers your question.

Best,

Eli

Thanks for your response @Eli :) I wish you luck and hope it catches on for you! Can you imagine people around the world speaking Kipi?! Kudos to you, because you'd have made history! I can't quite get my head around the whole concept, but I guess if it makes sense to you and all the fans of Kipi, then it shouldn't matter, right? Plus, it may appeal to people who just want something light hearted to have fun with.

On 12/2/2015, 12:52:12, Chris_A said:

Wow, this is a really good idea and lots of respect to you for even attempting to create something like this. I will definitely check it out. If you can really learn it in 1 hours, it will be cool to add another language to those I already know. :D

Thanks Chris, or should I say "Kiputi!"

On 12/2/2015, 6:15:56, czarina84 said:

I think it is very neat that you created a "language".  I don't mean anything derogatory by putting quotes, just that it isn't an official language yet.  I applaud your creativity.  I hope it works out and catches on.

Thanks Czarina! I hope so too.

On 12/2/2015, 3:59:55, pesic87 said:

Haha this is awesome. I need to tell you you are putting my mind at ease now - meaning, I would love if everyone would learn your language and then we all would be equal in some respect, talking the same language. Since it takes so little time to learn, everyone would be able to learn it. Now, we just need to create one country and we can all move there, too! Wouldn't that just be great?

@Eli Stutz you are just awesome! Need to tell all my friends about this. :)

Thanks Pesic! I agree! Kiputi. Pinpin?

@Eli Stutz  Congratulations on Kipi! Personally, I think that your creativity is a blessing and to share with others is as well.  This can be used in so many ways. There are children world wide who have problems enunciating and pronunciation simple words because of the way that is written.  It takes 30 minutes to learn? Wow! So for a child it could day maybe 3 or 4, that is phenomenal!   It may not be a universal language as of yet but looking at the bigger picture this can help so many people with developmental delays, bridging conversational gaps and so much more! 

Wow! Interesting. Am I correct to assume that the general idea of 'kipi' is just for two people with different language backgrounds have a 'common language' to use enough for them to get by? Meaning, through the use of kipi, they're able to communicate only the basics given that there are only 30 words in all. Generally, extended discussions won't be the goal for kipi?