Linguaholic

Basisexamen Inburgering A1

Trellum

Hi guys, just two weeks ago I had to take the Basis Examen Inburgering. I haven't gotten the results yet, but I am confident I passed ''Leesvaardigheid A1'' and ''KNS'', but not so sure about ''Spreekvaardigheid A1''.   It was such a long day for me, I couldn't sleep the previous night and I was in a different city I didn't even know (I had never been there and that place is so damn huge! I was scared actually!).  They delayed the exam a little too much, they had already told me it'd be 30 minutes later, but it ended up being a whole hour. 

I was very upset about the fact that they used words that weren't in the course sold by the Dutch government to those wanting to take this exam, the ''Naar Nederland'' course. Not at all.  I was lucky I came across this site: https://basisexameninburgering.nl/lessen    There I learnt a lot new words (still learning actually).  I thought it was so shady of them.  I actually plan to write to DUO to let them know what I think, but I will wait until I get my exam results ;) 

If you plan to take this exam... get ready to find and hear words that weren't  even in the course.  You must learn as many words as possible  so they don't shock you with strange words you don't even know.  Try to learn the basics, like for example the names of foods, fruits, vegetables, clothes, body parts, places vocab, music, professions, weather, etc.  Also be aware that during the Spreekvaardigheid you might be asked about topics that were never covered in the book, so be wary of that. 

And yes, check out the practice exam at the official Naar Nederland site, if you are lucky you will get the same questions (valid only for Spreekvaardigheid) during the real exam, but it's really about look, because they have at least 6 different combos for each exam.  The guy picks them randomly, some harder than others. 

Anybody here has taken this test? What did you think of it?   Did you pass it the first time or had to take it a second time?  Please share your experiences, I am looking forward to hearing them! 

@Trellum I've never taken this test and I don't plan to, but it was interesting to read about your experiences. And it sounds scary. I'm very nervous about various exams, tests, certifications and stuff like that. Probably that's one of the reasons why I try to avoid them whenever I can.

Why did you take it, by the way? Is it necessary to pass it to live in the Netherlands? Or did you need it for other reasons?

Next year I'll have to take an official Polish exam (I will try to get Polish citizenship and passing a language knowledge exam is one of the requirements). I already hate the very idea of that :)

Oh no!  Best of luck with that!   Actually yes, I needed that test in order to get my residence and work permit.  And by the way, guess what?  I passed!!!! I got the results just today and I passed!!!  I am so surprised, and I didn't do as bad as I thought I had done :o   I might post my results later!!!  Excited!!!!!!!

Don't wrry, I am sure you will pass that test.  I gather that you have been living in Poland for a while, and since you said you are using a Dutch course in Polish, then I am really guessing your Polish is much better than my Dutch :laugh:   By the way, what's the level you need to pass that exam?   

On 19.12.2015, 02:50:56, Trellum said:

Don't wrry, I am sure you will pass that test.  I gather that you have been living in Poland for a while, and since you said you are using a Dutch course in Polish, then I am really guessing your Polish is much better than my Dutch :laugh:   By the way, what's the level you need to pass that exam?   

I think B2 is the minimum I'd need. I hope to pass it, it's not vocabulary or grammar that I'm most worried about - I'm more anxious about any tricky punctuation questions. But it's only for next year so I'll worry about it later :)

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/24/2015, 6:43:16, anna3101 said:

I think B2 is the minimum I'd need. I hope to pass it, it's not vocabulary or grammar that I'm most worried about - I'm more anxious about any tricky punctuation questions. But it's only for next year so I'll worry about it later :)

Oh no!  I hate that kind of tricky questions, I think it was thanks  to one of those tricky questions that I didn't get a perfect score in the reading exam.  But I am sure you will do great!  Did you know that they say highly sensitive person happen to be highly intelligent as well? :)  It makes a lot sense!

By the way, if you like playing games, I found a really fun one for learning Dutch. It's called "Lost In" and you can learn a lot of new words in there. It's more for beginners, obviously, but maybe you'll find something useful in there.

On 1/11/2016, 6:41:21, anna3101 said:

By the way, if you like playing games, I found a really fun one for learning Dutch. It's called "Lost In" and you can learn a lot of new words in there. It's more for beginners, obviously, but maybe you'll find something useful in there.

Oh my! I'm still a beginner ;)   Where can I find this game? It sounds like a great way to keep myself motivated.  Sadly I seem to be forgetting dutch so quick :(  I need to start practicing it so soon... or else I might end up forgetting it all.   Gosh, it's that damn word order what confuses me the most... makes no freaking sense, specially when I momentarily forget something... Oh well, at least is not German... xD 

• 3 months later...

Whooops! I replied to another post when it was meant to be on this post. Sorry!

But Congratulations again! You must be thrilled and a pro now with Dutch! Just wondering on the timeline. Seems you got your results in 2 weeks - that is great! And does it take 3 months for the mvv to be approved?

I made payment to DUO only yesterday and can't make an appointment for my exam till I hear from them (next week perhaps). I called the embassy and they say the earliest exam slot is in July!!! I want to cry! Because it's such a long wait. I'm all prepared for the Inburgering exam though... just wish I registered months ago... Which means, this could take 7 months to process, from the time I make an appointment for the exam date.