Linguaholic

English Teacher

majateaches

Dear students and fellow teachers, I'm thrilled to have the opportunity to be part of the language learning community.

I have been teaching for 15 years, from Art, to Math, Social Sciences, and of course English.

I taught English in South Korea for two years from little kindergartners all the way to business men, students, even housewives! It was a wonderful time of travel and cultural immersion.

I'm happy to answer questions, share experiences and help students and teachers in any way I can.

Happy Learning :smile:

4 hours ago, majateaches said:

Dear students and fellow teachers, I'm thrilled to have the opportunity to be part of the language learning community.

I have been teaching for 15 years, from Art, to Math, Social Sciences, and of course English.

I taught English in South Korea for two years from little kindergartners all the way to business men, students, even housewives! It was a wonderful time of travel and cultural immersion.

I'm happy to answer questions, share experiences and help students and teachers in any way I can.

Happy Learning :smile:

Dear Maja

Very warm welcome to linguaholic.com! It's so nice to have one more 'linguaholic' on here!

See you in the threads

lingua

Hi and welcome to the forum! 

Is it rude if I ask you to share a little bit about your experience of teaching English in South Korea? I'm finishing my studies next year and I really wanted to explore the option of teaching abroad, but there are so many factors to consider when even thinking about that. Mainly teaching somebody whose language you don't even speak, that's just scary to even think about. 

Hi AgentZero, 

No of course, not rude at all, I'm thrilled to be able to share my experience.

For me the main deciding factor in taking a teaching position in a foreign country was the amazing opportunity to travel as well as earn a decent salary with which I could pay off my student loan. I applied through a reputable agency with years of experience bringing in English teachers to South Korea. They handled the whole application process, and their English is excellent so everything is explained clearly. 

The material that you are teaching is also all provided, some of the best teaching material I have ever seen!

They have the best text books and depending on where or who you are working with, sometimes a lesson is just about conversation, you have a lovely chat, gently encourage and correct your students and try to instill some confidence.

The biggest thing to "pack" is a sense of adventure, can-do attitude and a wide smile!

• 3 weeks later...