Linguaholic

I can't imagine my life without you - in all languages

pesic87

Hello to everyone,

I wanted to surprise my boyfriend for the New Year's Eve, and tell him that I cannot imagine my life without him. I would love to have it said in as many languages as possible, so I would appreciate it if you can  help me with that.

I love that boy a lot, and soon i am going to his country to meet his parents, but before that, he would come to meet mine, for the New year's eve.

Thank you in advance.

"Tsy afaka sary an-tsaina aho ny fianako raha tsy misy anao." (I am a language learner so that I my best effort.) This is a really cute idea. Are you going to put it in a card? I hope it goes well with meeting one anthers parents. Do you have a common language? If you are trying to learn his language or he is trying to learn yours then I bet that will go along way in sealing your relationship. And if you are learning the parents languages I'm sure they will appreciate your efforts knowing that their son hasn't decided to date someone who doesn't care about his culture. All the best! 

That's a hard one, especially since it's more like a saying than a 'normal' sentence.

Polish: Nie mogę życ żadnego dnia bez ćiebie. (literally: I can't live a single day without you.)
Dutch: Ik kan me geen dag zonder jou veroorloven. (literally: I can't afford a single day without you.)
English: (no translation needed, it's in the title ey?)
Japanese: あなたとなし住まれないと思いません。 (literally: I don't think I can live without you.)
German: Ich kann keine Tag ohne Sie leben. (literally: I can't live a single day without you.)

I tried to stay as close as possible, but as you can see, this is the most problematic for Japanese. :P

Cute idea. Here's the Filipino translation for that line:

I cannot = Hindi ko // imagine = maisip (OR mawari) / my life = ang buhay ko / without (you) = na wala ka.

In Cebuano;

I cannot = Dili nako // imagine = mahanduraw (OR mapamalandong) / my life = ang akong kinabuhi/ without (you) = nga wala ka.

You will have to change the pronoun from 'him' to 'you' though as it creates a bigger impact. To use him (siya) is like you telling the statement to another person, not to your boyfriend.

well I can help you with the two languages I know : 

in arabic we say : لا أستطيع تخيل حياتي بدونك

I can't = لا أستطيع

imagine : تخيل

my life : حياتي

without you : بدونك

and in French we say : je peut pas imaginer ma vie sans toi

je peut pas : i can't

imaginer : imagine

ma vie : my life

sans toi : without you 

I hope that i've helped you a little bit :)

21 hours ago, Saholy said:

"Tsy afaka sary an-tsaina aho ny fianako raha tsy misy anao." (I am a language learner so that I my best effort.) This is a really cute idea. Are you going to put it in a card? I hope it goes well with meeting one anthers parents. Do you have a common language? If you are trying to learn his language or he is trying to learn yours then I bet that will go along way in sealing your relationship. And if you are learning the parents languages I'm sure they will appreciate your efforts knowing that their son hasn't decided to date someone who doesn't care about his culture. All the best! 

Thank you so much for your contribution. Which language is that?

Yes I am planning to write each card with different language and just put all those in a envelop that I also plan to make on my own. I hope he will like it.

He is Bulgarian and I am Serbian, but we talk in English. I want to learn his language, and he says he will try to learn mine at some point.

Thank you for your kind wishes. :)

21 hours ago, Blaveloper said:

That's a hard one, especially since it's more like a saying than a 'normal' sentence.

Polish: Nie mogę życ żadnego dnia bez ćiebie. (literally: I can't live a single day without you.)
Dutch: Ik kan me geen dag zonder jou veroorloven. (literally: I can't afford a single day without you.)
English: (no translation needed, it's in the title ey?)
Japanese: あなたとなし住まれないと思いません。 (literally: I don't think I can live without you.)
German: Ich kann keine Tag ohne Sie leben. (literally: I can't live a single day without you.)

I tried to stay as close as possible, but as you can see, this is the most problematic for Japanese. :P

Omg, thank you thank you to the Moon and back. I would be honest, I had so much trouble to write the Japanese translation in my notebook. So hard. But I managed somehow. :))

20 hours ago, lushlala said:

I have always said my language Setswana is the least romantic language out there LOL It tends to go around the houses, and is not very 'economic' with words. But here goes:

Ntle le wena, Nka se tshele.

Thank you, this seems so cool, but I just wonder how i should pronounce that. :)

17 hours ago, aleshc said:

That's a very romantic idea :)

Slovenian - Ne morem si predstavljati življenja brez tebe
Italian - Non posso immaginarmi la vita senza di te

Thank you. Yes, he is a dear, and I wanted to surprise him, especially since he loves languages, too.

17 hours ago, takibari said:
14 hours ago, jamesbonner said:

well I can help you with the two languages I know : 

in arabic we say : لا أستطيع تخيل حياتي بدونك

I can't = لا أستطيع

imagine : تخيل

my life : حياتي

without you : بدونك

and in French we say : je peut pas imaginer ma vie sans toi

je peut pas : i can't

imaginer : imagine

ma vie : my life

sans toi : without you 

I hope that i've helped you a little bit :)

Cute idea. Here's the Filipino translation for that line:

I cannot = Hindi ko // imagine = maisip (OR mawari) / my life = ang buhay ko / without (you) = na wala ka.

In Cebuano;

I cannot = Dili nako // imagine = mahanduraw (OR mapamalandong) / my life = ang akong kinabuhi/ without (you) = nga wala ka.

You will have to change the pronoun from 'him' to 'you' though as it creates a bigger impact. To use him (siya) is like you telling the statement to another person, not to your boyfriend.

Wow, I am sure he would never have guessed that I would also use those two languages - he would be thrilled, I can just see his face now in my mind. Thank you for your contribution. You are such a dear.

@jamesbonner, of course you helped me, and not a bit, but a lot! I had some challenge with Arabic to copy paste it in my notebook, but I managed. Thank you so much

• 2 weeks later...

I hope my response isn't too late. That was Malagasy which comes from the island of Madagascar. It is a relative of the language found on the Island of Borneo which may be Malay but I'm not sure. That is where the Malagasy people originally came from and then many other immigrants traveled in from India, Arabia, and Africa. The second language is french. But I'm not yet fluent in French, you have just reminded me I need to do a lesson before I go to sleep (new year goal). But I think he is really going to like his card, I can't wait to hear the response! 

On 24 December 2015 at 5:26:43 PM, pesic87 said:

Omg, thank you thank you to the Moon and back. I would be honest, I had so much trouble to write the Japanese translation in my notebook. So hard. But I managed somehow. :))

Thank you, this seems so cool, but I just wonder how i should pronounce that. :)

Thank you. Yes, he is a dear, and I wanted to surprise him, especially since he loves languages, too.

It's a pleasure, @pesic87.....I reckon you'd probably struggle with the pronunciation because a lot of the sounds are very unusual LOL You see a lot of letter combinations that you don't often see in other languages, for instance. But get this, for some reason, I've observed that Americans don't seem to struggle in picking up Setswana! I really wish i had an answer as to why Americans would fare better at it than say the English; it beats me. 

In Spanish from Mexico it would go like this:  No puedo imaginarme un solo día sin ti.  Very romantic actually, awesome idea for a thread actually :)  We needed something like that, I specially appreciated the Dutch translation :)   I might surprise my fiance with that one ;) He doesn't think my Dutch is that good (I haven't studied since I passed my exam - very bad, I know!). 

Δεν μπορώ να φανταστώ τη ζωή χωρίς εσένα   = Den Boro na fantasto ti zoi horis esena

That's how you read it. It's greek. I  speak a little. Hahaha! In our language, Hindi ko lubos maisip ang magiging buhay ko kung wala ka. 

• 2 months later...

I know it's a late response, but may it still helps :) In Hungarian it's like this:

Nem tudom elképzelni az életem nélküled.

What a very cute gift idea! I am sure that you wouldn't be able to get "all" languages as there are some that are ancient and too hard to dig up, but the sentiment is still there. What a cute gift idea. I would water color some on a canvas and make a cute painting with the ones that you like.