Linguaholic

Learn to speak with tv

NATASHA

Study With Us on Discord for FREE!

You are absolutely right, Natasha. I was able to learn and understand Tamil very well due to immersing myself in Tamil culture and their movies. For anyone interested in learning an Indian language, I highly recommend watching their movies without subtitles. You'll eventually get the hang of it if you supplement it with some outside, real world experience as well.

Well to be honest it sounds like the perfect solution for someone like me, and I am sure many other people out there as well, but I have yet to try anything like this.  There are certainly some products out there though that incorporate television and video in some pretty innovative ways, so it is probably just a matter of getting your hands on some and trying them out and doing your research to see what they have to offer.  I am curious to hear any reviews or positive responses from any users.

On 2/5/2016, 12:39:29, NATASHA said:

Language is fun to learn but if you cant share the experience with others than a good way to learn is to watch a show on tv in the language that you want to learn about. it makes learning fun and easy to do.

Only if I can't share the experience with others? I have to disagree with that. Imo, TV is the best single tool for improving listening at the intermediate level. So whether you're immersed, living with native speakers, or completely isolated in Antartica, I strongly recommend watching TV for hundreds if not thousands of hours in your L2.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I tried this with several tv shows, but just can't decide.

It is more useful to watch the show with original sound and your native language subtitles, or dubbed movies with subtitles of the language you want to learn?

Makes sense, I hope.

8 hours ago, reverserewind said:

It's a great way to train your listening skills. The language in movies is a little bit of fake. However, if you watch TV live, it feels totally different. 

I personally prefer movies with subtitles ;)  But yeah, sometimes the language used is kind of odd.  That is why I don't find most movies so useful to learn new vocabulary.  I personally prefer talk shows and so on, even cartoons ;)  I love watching cartoons in Dutch because they use a very simple and basic dutch, that makes it so easy. 

Language learning through the TV has done wonders for me.  Sitting, listening, and repeating is the way our brains are programmed to learn, so why fight it?  I mean, kids learn in the same fashion and pick up language rapidly as they grow.  A friend of mine moved to America from Cambodia as a child.  When she got to the States (Massachusetts, no less), she, along with 90% of her family, had no experience with the English language.  They were too poor to afford actual training.  So what did her parents do?  They bought a TV and ran the news endlessly.  My friend learned so much English from the TV that she never even gained a Bostonian accent.  It's pretty crazy.

I think most of us (non native English speakers) learned English from Cartoon Network. Watching TV in a foreign language, especially with some good subtitles, is an amazing away of getting immersed in that specific language.

I learned A lot of Chinese by watching children's shows while babysitting my nephew. While kids are learning to speak, a foreign language cartoon keeps them just as interested as any other. Kids cartoons also have the benefit of  simple grammar and vocabulary. These shows often have very simple plot lines, making it easier to follow along without subtitles.

That's how I learned English as a child - by watching Cartoon Network. Now as I'm trying to learn German I try to watch Galileo every night, which is this informative program about culture, science and life in general. But honestly I think I learned a lot more by watching German let's plays on YouTube.

!00% agree with this too. Watching media in the language you're trying to learn most certainly helps you with many elements of speaking a language - pronunciation, regional variations, sub-cultural differences, etc. I've been working my way up from children's shows to more adult-oriented material these days, myself.

Due to the fact that I watch a lot of anime and foreign movies/listen to a lot of Asian-pop/read a lot of manga and other foreign works I have a tendency to repeat some of the words and learn from it and keep doing until I get it...

I tend to agree, but you have to have learned at least the very basics of the language you're trying to master, otherwise it's going to be pretty useless in my opinion. It'll do no good being hit with a barrage of incomprehensible sound and structure without being able to make any of it out. Still, it sure helped me increase my english fluency once I was past the elementary level.

I used to learn this way when I was learning Spanish. I would watch this dating game show called Doce Corazones (12 Hearts). You can watch some of it on Youtube. It is pretty funny and it helped me pick up some words and be able to follow along when people speak quickly. I would not be able to speak as fast as I do if I just kept learning from the software I had on my computer. 

On 3/22/2016 at 7:16 AM, CyanHeart said:

That's how I learned English as a child - by watching Cartoon Network. Now as I'm trying to learn German I try to watch Galileo every night, which is this informative program about culture, science and life in general. But honestly I think I learned a lot more by watching German let's plays on YouTube.

It's pretty hard to learn German, mainly because German isn't intuitive, or at least, not as intuitive as Spanish, Italian or Romanian, for a complete beginner. I too watch German TV shows, mainly to improve my pronounciation, but not to learn more words.

On 16/03/2016 at 0:59 PM, hungary93 said:

I tried this with several tv shows, but just can't decide.

It is more useful to watch the show with original sound and your native language subtitles, or dubbed movies with subtitles of the language you want to learn?

Makes sense, I hope.

Yes it does provided you don't get too engrossed into the movie and forget to listen out to the language you want to learn. It's probably one of the best ways to get a good grasp of the language.