Linguaholic

Handschuhsheimerin

Bill48

Any idea what Handschuhsheimerin means? Handschuh is a glove, but that's all I can figure out. I've come across this word often and the contexts are so varied that that does not help. Trying on line translators and trying dictionaries falls.

Anyone know?

7 hours ago, Bill48 said:

Any idea what Handschuhsheimerin means? Handschuh is a glove, but that's all I can figure out. I've come across this word often and the contexts are so varied that that does not help. Trying on line translators and trying dictionaries falls.

Anyone know?

Hi there. I am a German native speaker but I never came across this word. If you could provide some examples with context, I might help you to figure it out!

regards

L

Here's a random example I picked from Google:  "Aber auch Emilie Meier, keine der intellektuellen Vorzeigefrauen, sondern alteingesessene einfache Handschuhsheimerin, findet sich in der Reihe der Heidelberger Frauenporträts."

This came from http://ww2.heidelberg.de/stadtblatt-online/index.php?artikel_id=1607&bf=.

I've come across the word many times and other than something to do with gloves, no idea of its definition.

2 hours ago, Bill48 said:

Here's a random example I picked from Google:  "Aber auch Emilie Meier, keine der intellektuellen Vorzeigefrauen, sondern alteingesessene einfache Handschuhsheimerin, findet sich in der Reihe der Heidelberger Frauenporträts."

This came from http://ww2.heidelberg.de/stadtblatt-online/index.php?artikel_id=1607&bf=.

I've come across the word many times and other than something to do with gloves, no idea of its definition.

Well, I just did some research and it turns out that Handschuhsheimerin simply means that someone is from a specific area of the city of Heidelberg, Germany. So, to be more precise: Handschuhsheim is an area in Heidelberg, and Handschuhsheimerin simply is the description of a person coming from that area :=)

regards

L

On ‎2‎/‎10‎/‎2016‎ ‎3‎:‎56‎:‎03‎, Bill48 said:

Anyone know?

On 12.2.2016, 21:02:41, Bill48 said:

Thanks. I just looked at a map of Heidelberg and there's Handschuhsheim in the north of the city. So the word literally means "glove home", I guess.  

Yes, kind of :=) It must be a metaphorical meaning, I guess.