Linguaholic

A2 to C1 in a year?

Hi everyone,

this is my 1st post in this forum and I'd appreciate some advice on learning German.

My current level is probably A2, but in summer 2017, I would like to go for a study exchange to Germany for one year and write my final thesis at one of the German automakers' headquarters. But for that, I obviously need a very good level of German, I guess C1 would be ideal. I have one year to go from A2 to C1 level, from a beginner to an advanced speaker who is able to study in German and communicate very well. Is this feasible?

I will start learning German again this summer and since I am a university student, I am willing and able to dedicate as much time to studying as needed (even 5 times a week!). However, I will not be in a German-speaking country. To me personally, it seems impossible (I have a C2 in English, but only after spending a year in the UK which helped me to get from a B2 to C2).

Do you think I could get my German up to C1 in that timeframe or not? (and what should I do to get there, how many lesson per week)?

Thanks for your advice!

• 2 weeks later...

It's perfectly doable, but as with everything else, you'll need to show full commitment to reach this goal.

Read (blogs, textbooks), write (forums, workbooks), speak (Skype, real life person) and listen (music, news) as much in German as you possibly can, switch to any other language only when needed.
Therefore, the question "how many lessons per week" is out of the question.
Unless you mean one-on-one lessons, then my answer is: as much as you can afford.
There are lots of teachers waiting for you on Italki, reach them all out and filter the ones that fit you most.

If you go on Italki, make sure you trial some teachers to check on microphone quality.
My Spanish teacher used a terrible microphone that kept distorting, making me dismotivate to learn the language AND making her completely not understandable.

Edited by Blaveloper
Typo.

Personally, I don't believe in all those classifications. They are designed to divide people who are learning/using a foreign language. As the result, some of us feel very insecure about their category and are therefore shy when it comes to talking to a native speaker or someone else who speaks the language fluently.

However, I got your question. Basically, you are going to improve your German in like 1 year or so.

My tips: watch a lot of YouTube in German. that includes everything: video lessons from native speakers in German, vlogs, stuff you're genuinely interested in, street interviews, pranks, etc. 

The goal is: learning REAL language, not the fake (bookish) one. I call it a fake because nobody talks like that nowadays in their daily life.