Linguaholic

You Tube Channels in Your Target Language

Saholy

Do you either have a You Tube Chanel you like for learning your target language? Or do you yourself contribute to a Channel in your target language? Both are great ways to improve upon the language. I personally do not have my own channel but there are several people I like to watch. My favorite for French is Learning with Alexa: (but there are others who don't have as professional of a set up that are also good. If there is not any in your target language, then you could start your own Channel for free and this would be a great way to meet other speakers and even get help critiquing your language skills. Always 'welcome' comments in the end. 

Edited by Saholy
trying to remove an extra file but can't

I have yet to watch Dutch YouTube videos, but I've been seriously considering the possibility of creating a channel where I can share Vlogs and that kind of thing.  Mostly targeted at Spanish speakers living in the Netherlands or wanting to learn dutch :)  I'd like sometime create videos about the Dutch language, share some tricks and tips in my channel as well. Because you know what they say... teaching something to someone is the best way to reinforce your own knowledge. I'm truly considering it. 

• 4 weeks later...

I have a relatively popular YouTube channel, but it's about gaming.
I actually have plans to make Let's Play videos in multiple languages, but my voice is far from sexy. :S

I'm a gamer, @Blaveloper  ;)  Let us check your channel :)   I'm curious and would like to see what kind of videos you make.   Lately I spend a lot time on YouTube (free time, at least).  I love watching Vlogs, but also game walkthroughs.  What kind of games do you play?

@Trellum
"What kind of games do you play"?
Answer this question by yourself: https://www.youtube.com/user/UltimatePisman

Please no puns regarding the username, that name is over 13 years old now (and my YouTube channel is nearing its 10th anniversary soon). ( ̄ー ̄)

It is quite disappointing when I find a YT channel about language learning because almost all of them would only feature around ten videos and that is it. Either they did not have the time to create more or you have to download their other videos for a fee.

I agree, it is very hard to find consistently good and free Youtube language learning videos, especially in languages that are not so popular.

I love watching Youtube videos in my target language. I do not really watch the language learning ones because I find them a bit boring, however, Youtube has introduced me to language podcasts which were a game changer when I used the subway. I am learning Chinese now, and it is quite interesting. I mix my favourite hobbies (cooking and makeup) together so I watch a lot of beauty

Here is an example of what I love to watch:

You might want to use YouTube's "Popular on YouTube - [your target language's country]" channels. Like this is the one for Spain. It lists the trending videos in that country, usually it's vloggers, funny videos, etc. Fun stuff! It's like browsing YT but in your target language. It helps me find new channels quickly as opposed to searching online and asking people which can take long. 

Just use the search bar and it'll show you the channel for your target language's country which you can subscribe to. 

• 2 months later...

Although I don't usually use YouTube for learning exactly, I do like to watch gaming videos in my target language! Currently, I am watching a French gamer, and a German gamer, and I think it is helping because I am recognizing words. I also like to look up German dubbed versions of my favorite songs from Steven Universe.

There is one YouTube channel I use for learning Lithuanian, because the resources for that language are few and far between. It's called Videomokykla, I think. I am also planning to start using more German and French channels to assist me in my learning.

• 4 weeks later...

I don't usually use a YouTube channel for learning a language, although I might try them a little more often as they become available. But when it comes to an unfamiliar phrase, I like to check out the pronunciation from a  native speaker on YouTube, if it's available.

For instance, I recently met a man in our town who speaks Tagalog (Tuh-gah-low) and wanted to learn to greet him in this Filipino language, so I checked it out on YouTube. Shoot!--I was even saying the name of the language all wrong. 

If anything, there is an excess of channels for learning German, some of them are good, but some of them are very disorganized and incomplete, I guess the people or person behind usually grow tired of the thing midway and decides to abandon it.

YouTube is a great resource for learning although a lot of courses are not actually free, they just give you a few free lessons in YouTube to give you a taste of things and then point you to their pay walled site to continue, I ok with that, that's their prerogative but if I were to pay for lessons I think I would go a pay an instructor directly to attend a class.

A cool channel is "Easy Languages", they feature interviews with people filmed on the street speaking several different languages, even arabic, check them out here:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqcBu0YyEJH4vfKR--97cng

I guess this is more about being exposed to the language that you are studying and practicing than actual learning.