Linguaholic

Use of soler?

flo

My Spanish teacher in high school told us that the imperfect is used for both habitual actions in the past and can be translated as "used to" in English. I only graduated a few years ago so Google Translate was around, and she would get mad at students that used the phrase "subject + imperfect form of soler + infinitive verb" to demonstrate "used to" in their essays. Of course, she told us that imperfect would cover it and that using soler was a lazy way out.

That didn't really sit right with me. Was she right? Or does soler have a use in either formal or conversational Spanish?

• 1 month later...

Impefect past?  Well, some people do use the verb soler that way, but is not something people do so often.  I mean, I've probably said things like: ''Yo solía escuchar ese tipo de música hace uns aos''.  Is not used so often, but people prefer something that sounds easier like ''hacias'' or other verbs.  

Indeed. In general, the sentence's structure is like that:  "subject + imperfect form of "soler" + infinitive verb

"I used to eat oranges frequently"-> "Yo solía comer naranjas a menudo " or even "Solía comer naranjas a menudo". Since the first person subject is implicit in the sentence, you are free to obviate it