Linguaholic

Japanese Grammar

So, I started learning japanese these weekend, and I'm studying hiragana right now. I'm using the TenguGo Kana app for this, but it doesn't really have grammar in it, so I wanted tips on how to learn it. The same goes to vocabulary.

8 minutes ago, VenusFaery said:

So, I started learning japanese these weekend, and I'm studying hiragana right now. I'm using the TenguGo Kana app for this, but it doesn't really have grammar in it, so I wanted tips on how to learn it. The same goes to vocabulary.

Welcome to the Forum VenusFaery. I am not very familiar with Japanese, so I can't suggest anything, but my moderator friend Blaveloper can surely point you in the right direction. I will ask him about it.

regards

L

Hi VenusFairy, 

Welcome to the forums! I'm actually living in Japan right now and know a few decent websites for studying purposes.  
Tangorin.com has a great collection of sentences, kanji, and grammar points available for searching.  There's also an app. 
Jisho.org is wonderful for looking up vocabulary words and sample sentences.
Tae Kim's Guide to Japanese is fantastic.  If there's something I need to double check when I'm studying, I usually refer to this website.  

Then there's also Japanese Lessons on About.com.  When I first began studying 5 years ago, this was the site that introduced me to basic grammar.  

Have fun. If you need any help, feel free to ask :)

48 minutes ago, Teira Eri said:

Hi VenusFairy, 

Welcome to the forums! I'm actually living in Japan right now and know a few decent websites for studying purposes.  
Tangorin.com has a great collection of sentences, kanji, and grammar points available for searching.  There's also an app. 
Tae Kim's Guide to Japanese is fantastic.  If there's something I need to double check when I'm studying, I usually refer to this website.  

Then there's also Japanese Lessons on About.com.  When I first began studying 5 years ago, this was the site that introduced me to basic grammar.  

thanks for providing those great resources Teira. Tae Kim's guide gets mentioned here on linguaholic.com every now and then. Must indeed be a great resource!

I learnt most of my grammar over Skype, where we practise using the textbook "Genki".
Other than that, I've been stuggling to find decent grammar resources too (except for the Grammar N4 'course' on Memrise).

6 hours ago, Teira Eri said:

Hi VenusFairy, 

Thank you. I'll check them out. 

And, about you living in Japan... Is that true that people there speak english to any foreigner/non-asian looking person, even if he/she is speaking japanese, or does this only happen in the "touristic" Japan?

5 hours ago, Blaveloper said:

I learnt most of my grammar over Skype, where we practise using the textbook "Genki".
Other than that, I've been stuggling to find decent grammar resources too (except for the Grammar N4 'course' on Memrise).

I know about this book, but I live in Brazil and I can't really get it now, since the dollar and the shipping fees are making everything expensive now. Thanks for the recommendation, though.

4 hours ago, VenusFaery said:

Thank you. I'll check them out. 

And, about you living in Japan... Is that true that people there speak english to any foreigner/non-asian looking person, even if he/she is speaking japanese, or does this only happen in the "touristic" Japan?

You're welcome! As for your question, no, that's not necessarily true. In the places where tourists go, like the famous temples and museums, the staff is indeed bilingual and will attempt to speak with you in English.  However, as soon as you say in Japanese that you can speak and understand Japanese, they have no problem with switching back to their native language.  Many are actually appreciative if you speak Japanese.

As for your Genki problem, I have the electronic versions of the textbooks and workbooks available HERE.  You should be able to download the PDF versions. 

1 hour ago, Teira Eri said:

As for your Genki problem, I have the electronic versions of the textbooks and workbooks available HERE.  You should be able to download the PDF versions. 

This will sure help me. Thank you. :) And, thanks for answering my question too. It's just that I saw some articles saying that learning the languague isn't necessary, since japanese will try to speak english or something like that, so the doubt appeared.

56 minutes ago, Miya said:

Teira Eri, thanks for the GENKI pdfs. I have a student studying Japanese and those books will be a big help! :D 

You're very welcome! And if you ever have any questions, feel free to ask :)

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/6/2016 at 9:22 PM, Teira Eri said:

You're very welcome! And if you ever have any questions, feel free to ask :)

Hey @Teira Eri, do you happen to have the audio files for the workbooks? For the listening activities?

• 2 months later...
7 hours ago, LeesaJohnson said:

Use any grammar book for Japanese to learn or join some institute.

Why so boring?
Material is 1 part of the learning process, some of the other parts would be time, fun, practise and of course commitment.
None of which a grammar book nor an institute can offer.