Linguaholic

Castilian or Catalan?

Hi there!

I struggle with what to learn.. I mean, I thought that I can start to learn some vocabulary of Spanish, then someone on here asked me in which one I'm interested. So Castilian or Latin. Then I was going through the internet to see what the differences are between both Spanish at all. Then I found out that what I really should learn is Catalan. Now.. Since Catalan is just spoken in the Balearic Islands and some parts on the east coast of Spain, I'm not sure if I should just learn Castilian. On the other hand for what I want to study, I should better learn Catalan. Ugh! 

So what I'm trying to say is. Either I learn Spanish so I'm able to use this language more often (especially to communicate over language exchange apps or sites, more chances to practice at all), or I'm going to learn Catalan which is used in parts I'm going for vacation. But it's hard to find language exchange partners who speaks Catalan. The one app I'm using for this, there's just one user who's native Catalan. 

Since you all are into Spanish, what would you suggest? Does anybody know if all people in Spain are able to speak Castilian even though it's not their mother tongue? 

I'd be thankful for any advise! =) 

Some facts, based on my experience in Barcelona (a Catalan speaking area in Spain):

1. Castelian is the standard European Spanish (Latino is the standard American Spanish).
  2. Catalan is used exclusively in the Catalonia province in Spain.
  3. Catalan speakers speak Castelian as well, but Castelian speakers don't speak Catalan.
  4. In Catalonia, nearly all signs are written in both Catalan and Castelian.

I hope this helps.

• 3 weeks later...

I think you should learn whatever you feel like learning :)  You could also learn both,  I know people who do that and it's totally doable.  Finding language exchange buddies to practice Catalan might be hard though,  but you could just watch TV shows and movies in Catalan, as well as reading as much as you can in  that language.   Spanish and Catalan are so much alike :)  I think it'd not be hard at all to get this done. 

• 2 months later...

I went to Barcelona for vacation and I wish I had known Catalan. It would have been so useful. I went with my best friend who was born in Mexico and is fluent in Spanish, and she was just as lost as I was. It would be great to learn the language for the place you are wanting to go, but it is not necessary. Learn the language that you want to learn, and that you would get the most use out of.

This is somehow of a politically charged debate, but the term "Castilian" is no longer in use.

I went to Mallorca a few years ago on vacation, had no issues with people understanding my Spanish as I don't speak a word of Catalan, specially if you stick to the tourist areas, if anything, you are probably going to end up speaking a lot of German there since they get mostly German tourists, so much so that some pubs have Menus and Signs in German first.

I don't know what you do for a living but I would suggest learning Spanish first, it opens you to all of Spain and all the Latin American countries, the difference between all the dialects is not that significant really, you can lear Spanish in Spain and have absolutely 0 problems understanding and communicating with people all over Latin America, and that's like 400 million people that now you are going to be able to talk to. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 06/04/2016 at 10:04 AM, Blaveloper said:

Some facts, based on my experience in Barcelona (a Catalan speaking area in Spain):

1. Castelian is the standard European Spanish (Latino is the standard American Spanish).
  2. Catalan is used exclusively in the Catalonia province in Spain.
  3. Catalan speakers speak Castelian as well, but Castelian speakers don't speak Catalan.
  4. In Catalonia, nearly all signs are written in both Catalan and Castelian.

I hope this helps.

This. In spain there are a lot of autonomous communities besides Catalunya that speak an unique dialect. The other comunities are: Andalucía,Galicia, Aragón,extremadura and País Vasco. Catalunya is probably the most famous autonomous community in a foreigner's eyes, since their independence conflict with Spain similar to Québec with Canadá is awfully popular on newspapers.