Linguaholic

Best Free Apps for Language Learning

darkchild

There are five free apps that aid a person willing to learn a new language. They are:

1. Duolingo

2. Memrise

3. busuu

4. Google Translate

5. iHandy Translator Free

Which one do you use or have experience with?

• 2 weeks later...

Study With Us on Discord for FREE!

This is the first time I hear about ''busuu'' :)    I'm checking the main page right now, but it asks you to join.   Sadly it seems this one site doesn't offer Dutch :(  But it offers other languages I might want to learn later :)   I'm guessing it's one of those sites similar to the x-languagepod101.com, that they let you check the course for a couple days, then ask you to subscribe.   I'm just guessing though.  I might sign up later. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I personally use Duolingo. Duolingo has a variety of languages to offer. I am currently learning Spanish, French, Dutch, and Gaelic (Irish). This app is really sound in the teaching method; it uses pictures to word association, verbal communication, and recall practice. Duolingo could easily be described as a free Rosetta Stone.

• 4 weeks later...

Duolingo and Memrise are very good for memorization, but you shoul also check out Lingolistic, it's a new and free app to learn languages! They have English, French, Spanish, Italian and Mandarin. 

Enjoy!!

• 1 month later...

I have been using Google Translate for a long time now but thank you for sharing other free language apps that I can check out soon. So far, I've been reading a lot of good feed backs about Memrise and Duolingo so I'm thinking of also trying them soon. :)

I have started and quit Duolingo 2-3 times. Their weird and kinda useless sentences put me off. Also it takes them forever to add new courses. Although it is addictive, I don't consider it a great tool and think you can do way better with other tools and methods. For me it feels like Duolingo is for when you are too lazy to do the real study.

Memrise is only good for acquiring vocabulary. I like to make my own flashcards with the words I encountered myself and with the translations I've checked in a few dictionaries to be more sure, so I use Anki instead.

Didn't have chance to try buusuu too much, since it requires payment after first lesson.

Take a look at fluentU. I love learning new vocab and training overall language comprehension with videos with subtitles in the target language and that's exactly what this website is good for. For some languages it's really hard or nearly impossible to find videos with subtitles in the language. The downside is it doesn't support that many languages and you can't watch many videos for free :(

Also take a look at Learning With Texts. It's a free tool where you can add any text in any language and look up words as you read, add them to your vocab and them into Anki format.

Never thought Google Translate would be listed as an app lol. I mean it helps you translate it from your language to the language you want, but it's not always 100% accurate and I'm not sure how you would learn from that. Eh, well maybe someone knows :P.

I find Duolingo very effective! It is definitely my favorite language learning app. It makes it so easy and is such an interactive experience, that you barely feel like you're learning a new language. It's great how there are so many options available to us nowadays, and at little or no cost! Duolingo will teach you the basics of a language, but I highly doubt it will make you a master of conversation at that language. When you're done with the program, I would highly recommend you spend time with a native speaker, or watch tv in that language, or something of the sort to get you familiarized with how to speak properly in that language, now that you know the basics. 

• 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Flashcards are a popular way to master those aspects of language learning that you'd need to memorize.

For example, verb conjugations, difficult spellings, words with complicated pronunciations, etc.

If that's something you'd like to try, visit Cram.com. It's got tons of free flashcard sets, and even better, you can use it to create your own flashcard sets too. Cram comes with a spaced repetition feature that helps your learn better so the content sticks in your long-term memory. Give it a try!

Edited by Aileen

I like GoldenDict. It's free to download. I have a portable version that comes with the following dictionaries:

Black's Medical Dictionary
Stedman's Medical Dictionary
Black's Law Dictionary
Black's Law Dictionary 8th Edition
La Enciclopedia Britanica Espanola Compacta
Castellano-Catalan
Catala-Castellano
Collins Dictionary of Law
Columbia Encyclopedia
Diccionario Esencial de la Lengua Espanola Vox
Diccionario Enciclopedico Vox
Routledge Business Glossary
Glosario Comercial Routledge
Routledge Technical
Diccionari Angles Catala
Espasa - Citas
Espasa - Diccionario del Origen de Palabras
Espasa - Sinonimos y Antonimos
FOLDOC
Gran Diccionario de la Lengua Espanola Larousse
Bouvier Law Dictionary
Merriam Webster Dictionary of Law
The Lectric Law Dictionary
Burton's Legal Thesaurus
Lewis's An Elementary Latin Dictionary
McGraw-Hill Dictionary of Science and Technology
DUE de Maria Moliner
Mosby Medical
Mosby Medico
Oxford Business English Dictionary
Oxford Concise
Oxford Concise
Houaiss
Michaelis Moderno Dicionario da Lingua Portuguesa
Routledge Modern Dictionary of Slang
DRAE
Diccionario Medico Mosby
VOX Medico
Concise Oxford English Dictionary
Concise Oxford Thesaurus
The Britannica Concise
Partridge Slang
Advanced English-Spanish VOX
Advanced Spanish-English VOX
Merriam-Webster Medical Desk Dictionary
Microsoft Computer Dictionary

You can probably find them online if you look around.

1 hour ago, mrrmx said:

I like GoldenDict. It's free to download. I have a portable version that comes with the following dictionaries:

Black's Medical Dictionary
Stedman's Medical Dictionary
Black's Law Dictionary
Black's Law Dictionary 8th Edition
La Enciclopedia Britanica Espanola Compacta
Castellano-Catalan
Catala-Castellano
Collins Dictionary of Law
Columbia Encyclopedia
Diccionario Esencial de la Lengua Espanola Vox
Diccionario Enciclopedico Vox
Routledge Business Glossary
Glosario Comercial Routledge
Routledge Technical
Diccionari Angles Catala
Espasa - Citas
Espasa - Diccionario del Origen de Palabras
Espasa - Sinonimos y Antonimos
FOLDOC
Gran Diccionario de la Lengua Espanola Larousse
Bouvier Law Dictionary
Merriam Webster Dictionary of Law
The Lectric Law Dictionary
Burton's Legal Thesaurus
Lewis's An Elementary Latin Dictionary
McGraw-Hill Dictionary of Science and Technology
DUE de Maria Moliner
Mosby Medical
Mosby Medico
Oxford Business English Dictionary
Oxford Concise
Oxford Concise
Houaiss
Michaelis Moderno Dicionario da Lingua Portuguesa
Routledge Modern Dictionary of Slang
DRAE
Diccionario Medico Mosby
VOX Medico
Concise Oxford English Dictionary
Concise Oxford Thesaurus
The Britannica Concise
Partridge Slang
Advanced English-Spanish VOX
Advanced Spanish-English VOX
Merriam-Webster Medical Desk Dictionary
Microsoft Computer Dictionary

You can probably find them online if you look around.

Never heard about GoldenDict. Does it mainly target English and Spanish or?

• 4 months later...

For people who learn English. The web-site presents unique method to train vocabulary, grammar and spelling just on the one first page. Web server based on the 3 dictionaries, that covers in total 180 000 words, 3 000 000 sentences and more than 40 000 grammar quizzes (most of them has explanations). Special learning algorithm for adults provides adaptive stream of trainings that can be very useful for people with low cognitive abilities. Users can adjust amount of specific exercises - how many grammars, how many quizzes, how many most common sentences should be processed in the repeated line.

Web site has name "How To Think English". It's realizes skills like: prediction the word in the sentence, auto-grammar - when you able to speak like natives, knowing dictionary language and advanced spelling. The method provides services for people with zero language experience and for advanced learners too.

• 10 months later...

The key of learning English is frequent practice as it involves numerous vocabs, words and sentence structures.:wacko:

The app FYLP is quite useful as I can find an English Language Partner through it and keep chatting with her. I improve my English skills through frequent communication with English. And I can make a new friend at the same time.:laugh:

It is time to learn language in new and relaxing way:cool:, but not stressful, boring, costly, time-consuming..............

https://fylp.com/

• 2 months later...