Linguaholic

Bună!

waki

Decided to name this topic in my native language, Romanian. So I am an ESL teacher with a degree in French and I am currently picking up Spanish in order to take my Master's degree in Spain and also Chinese and Sanskrit for myself. I am self-taught in these three languages and I am using the Chineasy system as well as the Memrise app and a Coursera course for Chinese. I have classic textbooks for Spanish and Sanskrit and I love Duolingo. 
As for my "system", I absolutely hate grammar therefore I am trying to assimilate the languages naturally through conversation, media and literature intake as well as idioms. Nice to meet you all! 

Study With Us on Discord for FREE!

4 hours ago, waki said:

Decided to name this topic in my native language, Romanian. So I am an ESL teacher with a degree in French and I am currently picking up Spanish in order to take my Master's degree in Spain and also Chinese and Sanskrit for myself. I am self-taught in these three languages and I am using the Chineasy system as well as the Memrise app and a Coursera course for Chinese. I have classic textbooks for Spanish and Sanskrit and I love Duolingo. 
As for my "system", I absolutely hate grammar therefore I am trying to assimilate the languages naturally through conversation, media and literature intake as well as idioms. Nice to meet you all! 

Welcome Waki. Interesting approach you got there! I kinda like Memrise as well, but I am usually studying Chinese with boring resources like old dictionaries and stuff :P

2 hours ago, linguaholic said:

boring resources like old dictionaries and stuff :P

Danke! Well they're note boring, I dare say you're using the proper classic scholar approach which is healthy, not like mine. Mine is the equivalent of learning to play an instrument by ear and not with a music sheet. However, although I did study English for most of my life (including all the grammar countless times), I somehow started speaking it better after watching endless movies without subtitles and guessing song lyrics!

2 hours ago, linguaholic said:

boring resources like old dictionaries and stuff :P

Danke! Well they're note boring, I dare say you're using the proper classic scholar approach which is healthy, not like mine. Mine is the equivalent of learning to play an instrument by ear and not with a music sheet. However, although I did study English for most of my life (including all the grammar countless times), I somehow started speaking it better after watching endless movies without subtitles and guessing song lyrics!

• 2 weeks later...