Linguaholic

Memorize words in all languages

Hi All!

I would like to share with you my technique which I used to memorize foreign words.

When I used to be a student and had an exam in foreign languages, I used to ask my fellow students to ask me the words from my dictionary, which we had to learn, and I had to tell them the correct word. I believe that this method helped me a lot in learning the difficult words.

So, I came up with the idea of creating a small and simple Android app which acts like a personal dictionary. The purpose is simple: 

- You write down the words which you would like to remember into your phone and translate them

- You can test your knowledge by playing - the program will ask you the words and you have to type the correct translation.

For example, let`s say you study German and your are an English speaker. You save these words in your dictionary: table - der Tisch. The app will ask you "What is table in your studied language?", then you have to type "der Tisch". Simple, isn`t it? :)

Of course, you can modify or delete the words which you don`t need anymore. There is an option to export your words to Google drive or similar. 

I m planning to add more features but this depends on how much free time I have... I know that this is a simple application right now, so I would be very happy if you share your ideas with me. If you wish to see some other features, don`t hesitate to let me know :)  Just drop a message, or reply here.

The app is called I know that word and can be found here:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.reminder.words.kirshi.wordsreminder

It is free! 

I hope that you will find it useful!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Well the one thing that I think would benefit me in the method that @Kirshimentions is that making it into a game is nice little way to motivate myself.  It is kind of weird to think about because I feel like I am pulling my own strings, but if it works then I am willing to give it a try.  When it comes to memorization that is a place where I tend to struggle and I have never really been a rote learner, so this might be a good way to get around that fact.  Thanks for the share.