2 posts in this topic

I really thought it funny how English has so few cases and so I decided to give a brief explanation about this.

The three cases in English are [NOM] or nominative, [GEN] or genitive and [ACC] or accusative.

Generally, grammar books explain in great detail when to use them, but I found that it is easier with fewer rules. So, generative grammar helps here.

Nominative is used for the subjects of finite clauses - I am here. We love biscuits. He spoke to me.

Genitive is used for possessors - That's my hat. She's his mother.

Accusative is the default case and is used everywhere else - Give her the book. I spoke to him about it. This is for him. For him to be absent...

So, basically, the rule for Case assignment is as follows: If it's a subject of a finite clause/ verb, assign feature [NOM]. If it's a possessor, assign [GEN]. Everywhere else, assign [ACC]. This then covers a whole range of situations where accusative appears, including direct and indirect object (in English, it appears that accusative has taken over the role of dative as well) and the subjects of non-finite clauses with preposition for, as well as the prepositional objects (to mefor him).

linguaholic likes this

This is a great explanation.

As English is a Germanic language, it makes sense that it would have a few cases. Although I didn't realize this until I started learning German and Russian. Most native English speakers aren't taught this, however, which is why even we have problems with pronouns like who and whom.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By rdemeij
      FREE Language Learning & Teaching Tech Tools & Resources, in Order to Accelerate & Maximize Your Learning, and Make Teaching Efficient & Effective! http://www.celebratelanguages.com/tech 

• By rdemeij
      Free Language Learning Tools, Resources, Materials, Tech, Strategies and Hacks! Just visit to see for yourself: http://www.celebratelanguages.com 

• By thebritishgirlfriend
      Hi there everyone, 
      Although language has always interested me, I found this website in search of a place that might help me find resources to learn Marathi. 
      My partner's parents are from India, despite them speaking English I thought it would be a good gesture if I tried my best to learn some Marathi before I go to visit them in August. As well as it just being a caring thing to do, the festival Ganesh Chaturthi/Vinayaka Chaturthi is happening whilst I am visiting - I thought it only right to try to learn some of the language they speak when they have kindly invited me into their home at this time. If anyone has any suggestions, or could point me to the right sub-forum to ask for help in that would be greatly appreciated. I have already been to my local library trying to find books, but they only had Hindi learning books. I also have an app on my phone, but it is very basic and my partner has confirmed that it isn't using the right grammar. Any help would be awesome
      For anyone interested; I speak a very small amount of German on account of the fact my grandmother lives there and my mother grew up there. I am nowhere near fluent, but I thought that might interest all the language buffs  
      Thank you for reading,
      thebritishgirlfriend x
      (realising now 'thegbgf' may have been a more catchy username haha)

• By Michael Cheung
      italian.org.cn/app/
      or
      dictware.co.nf