2 posts in this topic

I really thought it funny how English has so few cases and so I decided to give a brief explanation about this.

The three cases in English are [NOM] or nominative, [GEN] or genitive and [ACC] or accusative.

Generally, grammar books explain in great detail when to use them, but I found that it is easier with fewer rules. So, generative grammar helps here.

Nominative is used for the subjects of finite clauses - I am here. We love biscuits. He spoke to me.

Genitive is used for possessors - That's my hat. She's his mother.

Accusative is the default case and is used everywhere else - Give her the book. I spoke to him about it. This is for him. For him to be absent...

So, basically, the rule for Case assignment is as follows: If it's a subject of a finite clause/ verb, assign feature [NOM]. If it's a possessor, assign [GEN]. Everywhere else, assign [ACC]. This then covers a whole range of situations where accusative appears, including direct and indirect object (in English, it appears that accusative has taken over the role of dative as well) and the subjects of non-finite clauses with preposition for, as well as the prepositional objects (to mefor him).

linguaholic likes this

This is a great explanation.

As English is a Germanic language, it makes sense that it would have a few cases. Although I didn't realize this until I started learning German and Russian. Most native English speakers aren't taught this, however, which is why even we have problems with pronouns like who and whom.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By moonlight
      Hi everyone!
      I am new member here. I would like to say a little about my learning experience online.
      I registered at the Verbalplanet website. I want to improve my English. You can choose tutors there. My tutor was ma'am Nada. She was really friendly and patient. We practiced vocabulary. I really like the session. The website is not very expensive. The first lesson is free which is great. I will definitely keep going to classes and I recommend Verbalplanet for people who want to learn language from their homes. 
    • By wotdpodcast
      Love learning new words? Want to use those you know now more accurately and confidently? Then give The Word of the Day Podcast a listen! Among language podcasts, it's one-of-a-kind.

Includes:
      - Words you can really use.
      - Explanations that make sense.
      - Fascinating word origins.
      - Usage examples from everyday life and classic literature.
      - Fun bonus segments.
      - Plenty of humor and the occasional pun.
      - Punchy, action-packed episodes--most between 5-10 minutes.

Does NOT include:
      - Jargon, boring words, excessively fancy or pretentious words, random slang.
      - Someone just reading stuff out of a dictionary and expecting the meaning to be obvious.
      - Long-winded etymologies where roots are parsed in nine different languages.
      - Anything except the excitement of discovering and discussing the best language has to offer.

Every episode, we do our best to live up to our credo: "useful words, pleasantly explained." Season 1 (on iTunes!) just finished--language fans, have at it!

Jamie Silva
      Host of The Word of the Day Podcast

iTunes: https://geo.itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/podcasts-wotdpodcast/id1193108780
      Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/user-934588746-565122450
      Word of the Day Podcast Website: https://www.wotdpodcast.com
    • By secretapp
      ¡Hola! Estamos buscando a personas que estudien inglés para probar la versión alfa cerrada de nuestra nueva app para aprender inglés basada en tecnología machine learning. Si te gustaría probarla, consigue tu invitación en trysecretapp.com
    • By ArielPlaysBanjo
      Hallo!
      Meine Name ist Ariel, aus Die Vereinigten Staaten und Ich suche den Deutschen Freund. Ich bin ein Deutschen Anfänger wer will wisse Deutschen perfekt.
      Ich bin komisch, und sprechen mit mir wird sein spaß. Ich mag sprechen Musik, Filme, Kunst, Bücher. Ich kann Ihnen helfen, Englisch zu lernen!
      Wenn du willst sein Deutschen Fruend, senden mir ein Nachricht hier Dann können wir per E-Mail oder Skype.  Vielen Dank!

• By Roumbourague
      Hello everybody! I am completely new here and came for an advice. Lets sum it up briefly:
      Im 29, native Czech Fluent in English (complete competence, daily usage of spoken/written). No reason to worry about losing it Learning German since 3/2013, four years now, from an absolute zero. I am far away from fluency but basically no more materials can offer anything worth the time spent to me. Therefore I read books as much as I can and am having conversations 3 times a week (2x1 hour one on one, and 1.5 hour in a group of three) in order to bring it to a satisfactory (fluent) lever until the end of the year and then keep fostering it till I die as I am going to need it in 90% of the jobs that I can ever get. My other motivation is just to be able to sing a song along, read a book as it was written, chat with locals without the necessity of using a foreign language (for them). I, believe me or not, consider it being a nice sounding, even a poetic language I intend to start learning Russian, just dont know if it is not too soon. It should actually be easy to me as it is a Slavic language, moreover presumably a simpler one and with lots of same/similar/familiar words. My motivation, besides money it could bring me, is more personal and less professional than in case of German Btw I have come across a tip to use materials made in the second language in order to learn a third one. Aside using English (and Czech) stuff I therefore consider purchasing some Russisch Kurs. Is there anything you could recommend?
      In order to give you a bit broader picture of what works to me or not, let me briefly recap my German learning experience (hope it is not forbidden to talk about materials):
      I am an auditive kind of person. I live in a world of sounds, noises, tones, melodies. One of hobbies is recognizing actors by ther voices, I was quite good at recognizing music before Shazam came. Therefore I prefer audiomaterials Started with Michel Thomas. Purely brilliant. Two people who, as well as you, never ever studied the language before, making the same mistakes as you do and Michel, with his wonderful personality, kindly correcting them. Awesomely authentic. Great start. The first material everybody should grab when new to a language Pimsleur was, on the contrary, very cold, too time consuming assuming the little benefit it brings and the translations too vague (Guten Tag translated as Hello etc). Boring, long, made for simple minded crowds, in my point of view Paul Noble is similar to Michel Thomas. Not that profound, not that authentic but still nice Two Czech audioschools follow: 2000 nejpoužívanějších německcých slov - 2k most frequent German words, which I dont understand why is quite overlooked. It contains all these words in complete sentences (thus even a significant portion of the grammar) accompanied with a transcription. The best I came across so far (when used in a CZ>DE order), learned it by heart word by word from my mp3 player, gradually cutting away these that I already knew, going back from time to time to revice Němčina do ucha - German to your ear - similar one, hard drill as well, this time giving phrases sorted by certain grammar phenomenons (and besides that the vocabulary). Learned by heart as well. In some ways these two overlap, off course. Some little selection was necessary I have surprisingly not found anything like these two in English! Glossika - Vague translations, some sentences sound unnatural even to an intermediate student Duolinguo - I was already farther in this point. Finished it just because it is been glorified everywhere. Vague translations, creates an illusion of competence at beginners, quite a silly concept to my taste. I prefer serious and solid learning FSI languages - again, I was already much farther and the time to sort out sentences that I did any mistake in was not worth the questionable benefit. Overall a very nice one DLI languages - the same I did not enjoy Rosetta Stone very much Then I purchased some audiobooks and kept listening to them in 10 minute segments at work without really paying any attention until I was basically able to repeat some of the phrases the same way it works with pop songs I have read some 5 books so far, using this touch-dictionary in my Kindle. Still up to 5 words that I have to look up on every page  
      So for learning this Russian I am considering:
      Michel Tomas (although not with him himself this time, unfortunately) Pimsleur (bad is still better than nothing, especially when you can borrow it from a library for almost nothing) The two Czech that I have mentioned above FSI/DLI if necessary Any more tips? I am considering ordering these two: http://www.dnf-verlag.de/shop/sprache/russisch/audiotrainer-1000-woerter-russisch-a1/     http://www.dnf-verlag.de/shop/sprache/russisch/audiotrainer-1000-woerter-russisch-a2/ or this one https://www.amazon.de/Audiotrainer-Russisch-Basiswortschatz-2-Audio-CDs/dp/3867152047 So my two questions - for these not having the patience to read it through - when should I pick Russian to German as a native Czech with fluent English and are there any nice audiomaterials (both English and German) that you could recommend based on my preferences?

Thanks a lot!