Linguaholic

Resources for Teaching English in Another Country

cutiepie

I am hoping to move to South America in the next couple of years to live. I've heard that teaching English is a way to make extra money to help support your lifestyle in a foreign country. How would I go about finding the market for this?  Where would I start? What basics would I need? 

Does anyone here know anyone who teaches English in a foreign country to support themselves?

• 2 weeks later...

Study With Us on Discord for FREE!

• 2 weeks later...

You can teach online, of course! It's really easy and I find it that it's actually a good way to make money online. Sharing your knowledge is the best, and it's also good so you can learn it yourself and improve.

I also think when you arrive there, try to join local communities or groups to inquire how you can achieve this. 

I'm sure combining both physical and online teaching will help you through.

Wish you the best.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

To teach English in Latin America you would normally need what you need in your own country. If you're teaching privately then you need a program if you're teaching in an institution then they usually have the program for you. You can teach English online too as many said above, no matter what you decide it shouldn't be a problem to teach if you already teach in your own country.

There are many westerners who live in Thailand and support themselves by teaching. This has been going on for many years. Many of these westerners have also started families in Thailand and have made Thailand their home. However, the latest changes in government policy may put an end to this situation. For starters, it's now very much more difficult to stay in Thailand indefinitely on just a tourist visa. Previously, many westerners just pop in and out of the country to have their tourist visas renewed. Now they need to apply for a proper working permit if they want to stay longer.