Linguaholic

If you have a bit of cash handy, I surely recommend you to get professional one-on-one lessons at Italki.
I can't stress enough the importance of speaking exercises in language learning, and professional teachers are here to help you out (and they are much cheaper than physical classes, and far more effective too).

But it's best to get at least master Hiragana and Katakana first, which can be done in just one weekend if you show full commitment.
Once you know these and started your Italki lessons, you will need to learn at least 2136 Kanji characters, most of which can be learnt on WaniKani or KanjiDamage (note: neither methods will teach you all 2136 characters).
KD is nice if you learn through humour and want to do it for free, but WK is better if you want to learn more and if you want to prevent stress.
Both will teach you vocabulary too.

You may get some grammar practise on Renshuu and vocab training on iKnow, although being someone who doesn't like to read books, I have to admit that actual textbooks are the best sources for grammar, preferably those with a lot of dialogues and those that come with an audio CD.

I hope this helps.

Edit:
Just wanted to quickly add: learning Japanese online is almost impossible without spending money on something, unless you want to rely on Memrise, yet another nice online platform to learn Japanese (and a whole lot more).

Yes, it's possible to learn through manga.
But you should keep attention to:
1. They use Kanji, so it's better you learn at least 600 to prevent yourself from digging into dictionaries for every single word you encounter.
2. They often come with lots of slang, I never recommend you to learn slang as a beginner in any language, since they will just confuse you as you learn.

• 2 weeks later...

Here is a very basic one from NHK, it is online, it is mostly audio based but also has plenty of material to support the lesson (each lesson is about 10 minutes long). It is very, well, Japanese :rolleyes: with plenty of cute animals and pictures.

I doubt anybody could learn Japanese with this but it is a very interesting introduction and I guess you should try it out before starting formal Japanese lessons to see how it goes.

http://www.nhk.or.jp/lesson/english/

I started it but stopped, now I want to start again and do it mostly for fun.

Some great suggestions from the people in this thread, thank you guys, this is helping me aswell.

One little trick i've found useful is trying to read Japanese magazines about videogames, they're super interesting so you have an incentive to keep translating everything in the article. I started with an interview with Shigeru Miyamoto. Of course this only works because i'm huge into videogames and well, Japanese media is full of interesting info about that, but i'm sure you can find something worth reading, I don't like manga because of the amount of slang they use. Good luck!

• 4 weeks later...

I have checked out the NHK site, and it has decent lessons which one can access to learn Japanese.  Most of the lessons are very helpful to the beginner, but it can also serve as a refresher for those who already know the language.  It also has vocabulary as well as other helpful words.  You can also try out JLPT Resources as well.  I usually bookmark important sites for future reference.

• 3 weeks later...