Linguaholic

Taking the IELTS and TOEFL Exams

Hello everyone! :)

I have noticed that some English learners opt to take the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) or the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) in order for them to determine their skills in the English language. A failing mark usually encourages them to study more while a passing mark tells them that they have already learned English very well.

What do you think about these tests? Do you think they're effective in determining how much a person knows about the English language?

• 4 years later...

Study With Us on Discord for FREE!

• 5 months later...

It all depends on one's needs and context. If you're looking to study at an institution of higher learning in an English-speaking country then both IELTS and TOEFL are ideal.However, I would disagree that they're the standard for assessing an individual's comprehensive English language skills. As an IELTS trainer, I've seen students score high marks simply by focusing on test preparations. This is because the students are able to master the question format and practice responding to the questions using a "template", so to speak.Besides, the examiners aren't generally very strict with certain grammatical errors.