Linguaholic

How many words per day on memrise?

edmundangelson

I aim for 15 new words per day (one level) on my Mandarin course at the moment, which is just the top 1,000 most common words. I'm currently getting about 75 per day to review too on average and rising as my 'learned words' bank grows.

How many do you learn per day on memrise?

• 1 month later...

Offtopic kind of: do you actually find Memrise effective? Because I've heard a lot of mixed opinions on the app and wouldn't really want to waste time on something that doesn't bring any real value, honestly.

15 words a day sound like a good amount.  I do use this method right now so I am trying to imagine in my head me doing it and figuring out how much I would need.  It is pretty impossible though, and there is only way to actually find out.  It probably depends a lot on the person and your learning style too, so I am sure with time you know yourself best.  Best of luck to you with your 15 and aim for more if you can.

• 4 weeks later...

Update: I've started to learn German on Memrise and I am learning and consolidating about 7 to 10 words each day. It's not a lot, but slow progress is better, because I get to use and repeat almost everything that I learn. I'm not a big fan of the app, but it's better than other apps from the same field.

If u want to build a vocabulary at a faster pace, you should increase the workload slightly more, like 20 or 25. You can go ahead hardcore mode and learn 50, but it'll take more than 2 hours from your time. Is some serious commitment, you know.

Memrise is good for learning the basics, and so far I have learned 10 or more words. Sometimes you will have to remember the words and their translation in order to get it right.  I used to play the app before, but now not so much anymore.  There are some words which I learned but were not yet covered by the regular classes.

• 7 months later...

A good approach is to learn 5 to 10 words a day, then review them 2 weeks later and then (I believe) 6 months later. I read this somewhere years ago, not sure where though, but to me it makes perfect sense. After all you want to make sure the words stick in your long-term memory. 

I admire anybody who can memorize 10 or more words a day, that is a great achievement.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

We all learn somewhat differently.  In addition as our learning progresses we have changing needs.  I had looked at Memrise A2 about a year ago and decided it was way to difficult for me.  More recently I took a second look and found that now it is just right for me.  I needed hearing practice, i.e.,  audio word recognition practice along with my requirement to constandly expand my vocabulary and Memrise is giving me exactly what I need at this time.  It pays to become familiar with a variety of language learning tools in my opinion.

Memrise is a company that offers hundreds if not thousands of on line learning apps without any sort of rating system.  You have to try them out and find what works for you.  From my experience, the memrise German A1 and A2 apps are outstanding but this is offset by other memrise apps that I felt were not at all helpful.  So it is just not possible to generalize and suggest that memrise is good or bad.  Some of its courses are good and some are bad. You have to try out a few and find what you are looking for and ignore the rest.  

• 3 months later...

I'd say around 10-15 is an alright amount of words. Memrise is a great way to build your vocabulary, really. Here are the top 5000 Geman words sorted alphabetically and here are the top 5000 German words sorted by frequency. Use whatever you think is better. The alphabetical one points out the weak verbs and in the one sorted by frequency you can hear how the words are said. Both are great stuff.