Linguaholic

What Do You Enjoy Most About Language Learning?

Personally, I am most interested in the sounds behind a language. When I am learning a language, my biggest focus is being able to nail the pronunciation so that I can, at a minimum, sound native even if I am not 100% fluent. 

I am also interested in learning languages because I love traveling & immersing myself into different cultures :)

Study With Us on Discord for FREE!

I personally enjoy being able to speak the languages I learn because of my appreciation for their respective cultures.  I like the idea of being able to communicate in languages other than English and I like that I can think in other languages now. 

Certainly ,the thing I love and enjoy the most of knowing another language is the fact you feel different from the crowd, there's always going to be that vibe that will make you feel superior to many other people around you (when talking about education and self preparation). There are many people out there who think that learning a new language is a stupid or useless thing, but they don't even know what they'retalking about.

What I enjoy is the way it makes you think in another perspective. Don't know why, but I feel different when speaking in a different language, with another personality and interests compared to using my mother tongue. I certainly enjoy that, is like exploring a different world from yours.

The thing I enjoy most from learning a language is that you learn to appreciate the cultural aspects of the target language.  I am learning to appreciate the Japanese culture as I learn speaking Nihongo.  Learning the basics is fun, especially the grammar and vocabulary, though the listening bit is still problematic for me.

The progression. The fact that I'm more and more able to speak and communicate in that language is an awesome feeling. It makes me want to learn more of the important languages so that I'll never have a problem with translating anything or with travelling. Of course, it's also nice to impress people with your knowledge of languages, even though I'm not even close to reaching that point yet.

I love words, and a new language opens up a whole universe of new words. "Zgomot", "copiii" and "oaie" are all common words in Romanian, which I'm learning now. They're very different from anything in English or any language I've tried to learn before.

My target language isn't especially popular, and it's a nice feeling to be doing something a bit different. I've had to figure a lot of it out myself - no night classes or anything - and that's been an interesting challenge. It's a bit like solving a puzzle.

Most of all I like the feeling that I'm progressing. I'll read a news article and my reaction is "aaarghh, I don't know this word!" but then I think of all the words I *do* know. I'm still getting the gist of this, right? A year ago I wouldn't have had a clue.

I am a history buff. And I know that there was a "mother language" around 8000BC from which the Indo-European languages emerged. What interests me, is whether phonetically, the languages are similar or not. In most cases, they are. In fact, I recently noticed that a few words in Chinese are the same or sound similar to certain Hindi, Russian and German words. Any expert will tell you that Chinese has little to do with these other languages, but I have found them to be similar. So that's what interests me - similarity among languages.

The thing I enjoy the most is being able to gauge the level and speed at which I progress through the different stages of the learning process. I love it when I add to my vocabulary, learning new phrases and words. Knowing that I could go to these countries and be able to comfortably hold my own in a conversation in my target language is very rewarding to me. I'm not going to lie, I also like being complimented on how far I've come. It's especially rewarding when it's coming from native speakers.

For me the most important part is being able to understand, at first I may not understand that much what people are saying or what is written but as time progresses and I'm able to understand then that's when I come to realize how important and useful learning a language can be. Of course there are many other important things that help you get to the main goal which is understanding the language, these things include vocabulary and grammar structures. Verbs also play a key role in any language and they are the backbone since they are the word that makes a sentence what it is.