Linguaholic

Programming: Language or not?

Enlivo

Just a fun question out of curiosity. Would you consider programming language, such as Java, C++, etc as a "language"?

My friend decided to be cheeky during his job application/interview. He said he could speak 4 languages and when the interviewer asked him what they are, he replied, "English, Java, C++ and Phyton" (After writing down those 3 items in the skills column). Obviously, the interviewer wasn't amused, and my friend thinks a job offer is very unlikely at this point.

I personally wouldn't consider programming languages as a "language". It's just.. different, I guess. How about you guys?

These are programming and/or scripting languages, which are different from spoken languages.
As a programmer I consider them languages, though I can understand that linguists can possibly disagree with me on this subject.

They are languages, but they don't allow the average speaker to use them. What's really different about the spoken languages is the fact that they must be used 100% correct in order to work. If there is a single bug, the computer will not understand the "language" 100%, while if some user tries to speak in a certain language, but does mistakes, the other people will definitely try to understand at least what he's talking about.

1 hour ago, 111kg said:

They are languages, but they don't allow the average speaker to use them. What's really different about the spoken languages is the fact that they must be used 100% correct in order to work. If there is a single bug, the computer will not understand the "language" 100%, while if some user tries to speak in a certain language, but does mistakes, the other people will definitely try to understand at least what he's talking about.

Could you provide more explanation here?
Because these 2 sentences disagree with each other.

Programming languages are called languages because humans use them to communicate with machines or computers. Like human languages, programming languages have syntax that governs how a program or statement should be written. Violation of syntax leads to confusion and error in both cases.