Linguaholic

Easiest Language to learn

Delarno

Well if English is your main language, there are several languages that have had a profound influence on English.  The English language borrows a lot of words from Latin, French, Italian, and Old German so those will all be familiar to you if you study them. 

Question: what cultures do you legitly like?

You must be honest about this question, or you will never make it to the 7 language mark. This is why I was perfectly able to learn Japanese, why every attempt on learning Spanish has failed me very quickly.

16 hours ago, Mereloshn said:

Well if English is your main language, there are several languages that have had a profound influence on English.  The English language borrows a lot of words from Latin, French, Italian, and Old German so those will all be familiar to you if you study them. 

Thank you for your answer. I would consider Italian and German, not Latin.

15 hours ago, Blaveloper said:

Question: what cultures do you legitly like?

You must be honest about this question, or you will never make it to the 7 language mark. This is why I was perfectly able to learn Japanese, why every attempt on learning Spanish has failed me very quickly.

What you mean " You must be honest about this question "?

@Delarno

What I mean is literally what cultures do you honestly like?
It doesn't make sense to force yourself to be in love with the Spanish culture while you actually hate it for example.
I made this same mistake, went to Spain twice and I really liked it there.
However, I was still not convinced enough to learn the language.

How easy a language will be for you depends on you.

It depends on how receptive you are with new languages. Some languages might just not fit you at the moment, but maybe you'll learn it later.

It also depends on how similar the language is to the languages you know already, whether the languages are related or not. Similar languages are easy to learn, but there's that risk of accidentally mixing up those languages when speaking it.

Another thing that is important is practice and environment. If you have foreign-language-speaking environment that forces you to practice the language you're learning, you'll learn it faster and probably you'll end up speaking it without an accent. 

I know you already speak English but English is actually the easiest language to learn since it has less tenses than most other languages. It's very methodological, if you follow a structure it's quite easy to form sentences or questions. You only need to be able to have dedication and passion when learning it and you should succeed. You need to practice everyday and don't expect you will learn it by doing nothing, you have to be active.

Thе еаsiеst lаnguаgе tо lеаrn is thе оnе thе mоst сlоsеst mаtсhеs yоur оwn lаnguаgе. Thе еnglish lаnguаgе hаs simplе grаmmаr аnd simplе rulеs but it is diffiсult tо prоgrеss bесаusе еnglish bоrrоws frоm оthеr lаnguаgеs but аlsо bоrrоws thеir rulеs оf оthеr lаnguаgеs rаthеr thаn supplаnting thе rulеs еnglish. Vеrbs fоllоw Gеrmаn аnd nоuns hаvе а lаrgе Frеnсh influеnсе. Wе still usе thе rulеs оf Lаtin. Thеrе is а myriаd оf оthеr wоrds thаt аrе tаkеn frоm thеir nаtivе lаnguаgе withоut сhаngе.

I don't really know if you can actually consider a language easier than others because it basically depends on your skills level and your mother tongue in some ways, that's why learning English is always going to be easier for a Swedish guy than for a Portuguese one. There are many factors to take into account when it comes to the 'easiest' languages. That's just my opinion.

Generally I think the easiest ones to learn are ones closest to your own language or ones you are really interested in so it's mostly subjective and I don't know if there are any particular languages that are objectively easier to learn than others. I did once see an infographic explaining how simple Korean is though I never tried it out myself it did seem simple enough and the way it was laid out did kind of make it easier to digest and learn. 

Yes, I agree with that. The easiest language to learn would be a language which has the same root as your mother tongue. For example, my parents speak Chinese. Chinese is a tonal language. So I am familiar with tones. When I learned Thai, it was not that difficult, because Thai is also a tonal language. The only difficulty is the Thai script which is totally alien to me.

On 9/16/2016 at 7:18 AM, Blaveloper said:

@Delarno

What I mean is literally what cultures do you honestly like?
It doesn't make sense to force yourself to be in love with the Spanish culture while you actually hate it for example.
I made this same mistake, went to Spain twice and I really liked it there.
However, I was still not convinced enough to learn the language.

I get it now.

The reason of my question is t get people's opinion to write an article about it. I gather Some information on the internet and comments on forums to prepare and interesting post on the easiest language to speak.

Thank you

@Delarno
Good to know, then my opinion stands; instead of telling you a specific language, I just gave a more generic option.
I might find Japanese easier to learn than French, but obviously a lot of people will either agree or disagree with me.
The other one might find Ukrainian the easiest to learn, while yet another one will find Italian the easiest one for example.

So whatever is hard or easy depends on your own mindset.
But that's my humble opinion.

• 3 weeks later...

The easiest language to learn is the one that has the most similarities with your own language, so it will vary from person to person, much like the hardest language to learn is the opposite; in this case your easiest language won't be other's easiest language but the one that is most familiar to you.

I know that for me Finnish would be an easy language to learn since my native tongue (Estonian) is quite closely related to it. The only reason why I haven't learned it is that I don't really like that language. 

I think I'd also find easy to learn some other languages in the slavic language group. I mean sometimes understand those languages even though I can't speak them. I remember growing up we had Polish music television at home for some reason and after watching it for a while, I could understand some words.

1 hour ago, sidney said:

I think English is the easiest to learn among them all. Then next would be Spanish, French, German, and Tagalog. I don't think I can name up to 7 since I only study a few languages.

I don't think so, it also depends on your mother language, indeed.

The easiest language to learn that I know of is the Malay language. It uses the same alphabet as English. Old Malay uses the Jawi script which is similar to the Arabic script, but modern Malay uses Rumi which is derived from the English alphabet. The Malay language has a straightforward spelling structure where the words are pronounced exactly as they are spelled. There are no strange forms of pronunciation like the English language. You can actually learn enough Malay to converse in it within 30 days.

It matters a lot where you were born. I was born in Europe, therefore it was easy for me to learn German and English, but people living in Japan, for example, may not agree with me.

The easiest language to learn is your mother tongue. You will learn your mother tongue even if you don't study it. You will be learning your mother tongue just by listening to your parents and other people speaking. Another easiest language to learn is the language that is spoken by people around you. For example, you are in a foreign country and you don't speak their language, however, every now and then you hear people speaking the language, without knowing it you will be l;earning it.