Linguaholic

Is there a big difference between how Spanish and South American speakers talk?

Study With Us on Discord for FREE!

Yeah there are differences in vocabulary pronouncing between Spanish and Latin American speakers.  There are also regional differences in dialect in different areas of Latin America in specific words and how they pronounce things.  The differences are not extreme though. 

During high school and college one of the main difference was the use of the visitors tense.  Most of my teachers who learned and finished their schooling in South or Central America  almost never used vosotros.  In fact, two of my teachers didn't teach it at all.  But my teachers who were either native or finished their schooling in Spain always used it.  My college teacher who was from Spain even made fun of the kids who didn't use or know it in class.  I don't know if they really don't use it or if they rarely use it but that's what I noticed.

• 3 weeks later...

I have studied both Castilian Spanish aka Castellano from Spain and Spanish from Latin America and I have mixed feelings about them.  When it comes to the words themselves, I much prefer the vocabulary of Castilian Spanish.  However, when it comes to actually speaking in Spanish, I prefer the Latin American pronunciation style.  Personally I believe Castellano spoken Latin American style would be the coolest language ever. 

• 1 year later...

Argentines speak their own dialect of Castellano which has pronunciation unique to it, unlike from Spain and also very different from most other similarities in North, Central, and South American Spanish. So, yes, there are a lot of differences!