Linguaholic

Do any native English speakers use this section?

Guest chives152

Guest chives152

I have been using this section to brush up on my grammar and word usage. It is surprising how many words I have been using the wrong way. Now I have fewer mistakes instead of less mistakes. Now I take my phone with me instead of bringing my phone with me. Do any other native English speakers use this section to learn more about English?

Yes, we have both native speakers and non-native speakers using the English section.  I think it's been a very enjoyable way to brush up on grammar and learn more about the fine points of the language.  I've learned a lot here, too.

Unfortunately in this day and age, so often we're exposed to incorrect English grammar and spelling that we're all in the same situation, whether we are native speakers or non-native speakers of English.  We're all hearing and seeing incorrect grammar so much that it's easy to forget what the correct grammar is.

Me, too. I never used it but have you ever heard of someone who "borrowed me some money?" Instead of loaned me some money. I hear a lot of this in the midwest. Also wash is pronounced as "warsh"--huh?

I've never heard anyone say "borrowed me some money."  But I have heard "get me some money" which is also incorrect grammar  It's that same incorrect sentence construction; adding  "me" after a verb that doesn't need it. 

And of course, the mispronunciation of words that is specific to certain geographic regions -- such as you mentioned --  is yet another one of those peculiarities!  That's strange how people add a nonexistent "r" when they pronounce wash!

Absolutely! I had an English teacher in secondary school who always used to say, if ever we mentioned language classes, that we should be learning our own language before we learn another one. While I don's agree with her in that we shouldn't learn other languages, I do think it's a good idea to continue to attempt to master our own language to the full.

I'm a native speaker. I can help out anyone who needs to know anything about English, so fire away if you have questions :) I like to learn as well as teach so the English board is good for me to hang out in.

Me, too. I never used it but have you ever heard of someone who "borrowed me some money?" Instead of loaned me some money. I hear a lot of this in the midwest. Also wash is pronounced as "warsh"--huh?

Wash IS pronounced warsh in the Midwest. However, if you say warsh in the South, they will look at you like you have lost your mind.

Here is an article that is extremely helpful to Americans and non-American speakers alike :)

http://www.businessinsider.com/22-maps-that-show-the-deepest-linguistic-conflicts-in-america-2013-6?op=1

Wash IS pronounced warsh in the Midwest. However, if you say warsh in the South, they will look at you like you have lost your mind.

That pronunciation ("warsh") also turns up in the Pacific Northwest too, though it always hits my ear wrong.

A common (mis)pronunciation you'll find in the PNW is "fir" for "for" and I admit to using that one without thinking about it. ;)

You know, I consider myself a native English speaker due to the fact that I immigrated to an English speaking country at a young age. Nevertheless, I feel that it's always good to refresh and improve your knowledge on the skills you already have or know, regardless of how good you are at it currently. While English isn't my first language, I do speak like it is my mother tongue. So to answer the question, it would be a yes. I do use this section of the forum, however, mostly just browsing through. On occasion, there's an opportunity for me to voice my knowledge and opinion (take this post as an example :P ), so while I may not post frequently in this section, it doesn't mean I won't use it at all.

Yes, my native language is English.

I've only just begun reading this forum and I'm already beginning to learn a more unique way of typing and using words. I have never really considered how important grammar is to myself personally, but more what other people think about my grammar.

• 1 month later...

I am an English speaker who uses this section as well. There is nothing wrong with using this section, because you never know what you might learn just reading this part of the forum. There is always a chance you may learn something new, you just have to open your eyes and try to do so.

If I am not wrong, I thought that if you wanted to know a users native language you could check that within their profile?

Having native English speaking users in this section adds an interesting element for me as the reader. I try to guess the native language before checking it on a profile. It is impressive when I have a hard time figuring it out.

I have been using this section to brush up on my grammar and word usage. It is surprising how many words I have been using the wrong way. Now I have fewer mistakes instead of less mistakes. Now I take my phone with me instead of bringing my phone with me. Do any other native English speakers use this section to learn more about English?

Yes, I'm a native English speaker here as well. I'm here both to learn and impart whatever knowledge I have on the English language. I see myself more of helping than receiving help though; but that's what forums are for.  :smile: