rbose

past subjunctive and conditional

How would I say in spanish:

"it was possible that we could have put more than one answer"

I think that it should be subjunctive since es posible que triggers the subjunctive, but it is also conditional. This is what I thought it would be:

"Fue posible que nos hubieramos puesto mas que una repuesta"

Hey rbose, 

This is very context specific answer. If the speaker is positive that they could have put more than one answer, then they use indicative (regular) tense, and if the speaker is not sure if they could have put more than one answer or not, they would indeed use the past/imperfect subjunctive. 

If the speaker is unsure, the translation I would give for this is "Era posible que nosotros pudieramos ponerse más de una contesta." 

If the speaker IS sure, I would say "Era posible que nosotros pudimos ponerse más de una contesta"

Have you studied the imperfect tense yet? It is used for events or actions in the past that were repeated or that lasted extended periods of time. I used this tense in my sentence with "era", which in this case is the he/she/you (formal)/it conjugation. 

Also, "respuesta" or "contesta" would both be acceptable in this context. "Contesta" specifically means "answer". 

I hope this helps, and if you have any more questions I'd be happy to clear something up!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By elingston
      Hello! I'm Deniz, 17 years old with a not-so great memory. I do have the motivation for learning another language, but not really the time as I am taking college and high school classes. I was thinking thirty minutes a day for seven days a week sounds like a plan. That's 168 hours per year; 3 hours 30 minutes / per week. If I were diligent, the numbers would be higher. Do you think 30 minutes is impractical? I don't have to be fluent in the third language, but I would like to be proficient. 
      I speak fluent English as it is my native tongue and I know a good chunk of Turkish, though I should seek improvement. It is my second language; my parents speak fluent Turkish. 
      I live in USA, Texas. Majority of the people in my school are Spanish-speaking. If I were to learn Mexican-Spanish, it would benefit me as most hiring jobs pick the person that knows both Spanish and English over the person that knows only English. It is also the 2nd most spoken language. I will be taking college Spanish 1 and 2 during the summer as it is a requirement for my Associate's degree. I'm not at all interested in the language itself, even though I have many close friends who speak Spanish. I rather learn any other language, but I do realize the benefits of Spanish.
      However, I'm a sucker for Korean dramas as I have watched at least 220+ Korean dramas (consisting of 16-120 episodes that are an hour each). I have picked up a few Korean phrases, but I'm no where near a beginner level of the Korean language. I adore the language and I would love to learn Korean, especially since I plan to visit Seoul once I am in my 20's. Another thing is that my father speaks Persian (Farsi). It is his native tongue, however he only speaks English and Turkish around the house. If I were to ask him to practice Persian with me, I know he would be willing to. Though, he does not know how to read or write the language because he forgot over time. All of my dad's side speaks Persian, so I would be able to get closer to them.
      I am interested in learning either Korean, Persian (Farsi) or Mexican-Spanish. Based off the languages I already know and the background knowledge you know of me, which language do you think would be easier for me to learn? Or the best, in your opinion and why.
    • By Ems-L5
      "En medio de su caos vehicular en horas pico, su maraña de cables, rebrotan de día sus construcciones patrimoniales, su gente, sus secretos y recovecos; y a la noche, esas mismas edificaciones cobran vida con el color de sus juegos de luces."

I'm struggling to understand 'rebrotar' in this context. It is a tourism article about a city in Paraguay. 

Any suggestions? thank you 
    • By JalonValleyAli
      Hi, everyone.  I have attempted to learn Spanish a few years ago, but didn't take it seriously and, therefore, didn't get anywhere.  Now we are looking for a property to buy in Northern Costa Blanca - the Jalon Valley to be precise - and I started an evening class back in September, plus I am using Duolingo and other online resources.
    • By vrysius
      Hey~
      I'm vrysius and I'm the American child of an Argentine, born and raised around Washington D.C. in the United States. My pronouns are He/They. I lived for a few years in NL and picked up a fair amount of fluency in Dutch from there, although I am out of practice and my grammar is probably terrible again.
      When I was a child, I wanted to learn every spoken language in the world, haha. Now I just want to be fairly familiar with at least one or two languages per continent. Unfortunately, with everything else I have to put energy into in my life, this might be kind of an unobtainable goal. I work by day in Networking and Systems Support, and have a strong desire to write and publish fiction. I am technically working on a novel and a video game script (in English). I am also becoming very people-oriented and invest a lot of time supporting my friends and family.
      Anyway...!
      I am currently primarily focused on increasing my fluency in Spanish. My mother was very invested in my English literacy to the point where she never spoke to me in Castellano and only taught me rudimentary basics when I got older. Some of it I actually rejected for a time and I am really hoping to be able to reclaim an important part of my background. Also, Spanish fluency is just a really good life and social community skill to have in my area.
      Outside of that, I have been wanting to increase German fluency out of fancy, and I want to learn ASL because I find it important for every hearing person to be able to assist the Deaf/HOH by learning ASL. Distant linguistic goals also include familiarity with Arabic and at least one major language from the African continent, but I have not chosen which would be meaningful or pragmatic enough to me to justify learning it without coming off like a language imperialist.
      Sorry I am verbose! I hope to gain a lot from this forum!
    • By Optimistic
      Hey guys, I wanted to share this great directory of free language learning resources.  
      The site is specific to Spanish, but many of the apps and resources are available in all languages. 
      Hope this helps! 
      www.learningspanishforfree.net