rbose

past subjunctive and conditional

2 posts in this topic

How would I say in spanish:

"it was possible that we could have put more than one answer"

I think that it should be subjunctive since es posible que triggers the subjunctive, but it is also conditional. This is what I thought it would be:

"Fue posible que nos hubieramos puesto mas que una repuesta"

Hey rbose, 

This is very context specific answer. If the speaker is positive that they could have put more than one answer, then they use indicative (regular) tense, and if the speaker is not sure if they could have put more than one answer or not, they would indeed use the past/imperfect subjunctive. 

If the speaker is unsure, the translation I would give for this is "Era posible que nosotros pudieramos ponerse más de una contesta." 

If the speaker IS sure, I would say "Era posible que nosotros pudimos ponerse más de una contesta"

Have you studied the imperfect tense yet? It is used for events or actions in the past that were repeated or that lasted extended periods of time. I used this tense in my sentence with "era", which in this case is the he/she/you (formal)/it conjugation. 

Also, "respuesta" or "contesta" would both be acceptable in this context. "Contesta" specifically means "answer". 

I hope this helps, and if you have any more questions I'd be happy to clear something up!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By jesus
      Hello!
      Just a few lines to introduce our organization, Melibea, an organization promoting the Spanish language and culture over the world.  You may register now for our Summer Immersion Program, which shall take place in La Coruña, Spain.  We offer immersion programs with traditional clases coupled with a number of activities (academic, sports, culture...) with our partner local associations, where you will practice your Spanish with native Spaniards.  It´s fun!!!! Please find out more about us www.melibea.org
      Thanks for your interest, I share our Summer Program brochure for you guys to enjoy. Feel free to contact us for further information at cursos@melibea.org.
      Gracias a todos, un saludo,
      Jesús Vargas
      Director de Programas - Melibea
    • By jesus
      Melibea is an organization dedicated to the promotion of the Spanish language and culture in the world. We carry out this promotion mainly through intensive programmes of Spanish language and culture.
      Our Spanish language and culture Summer courses 2017 will take place in La Coruña during the months of June and July.
      They are immersion courses of 40 hours of study and practice per week, designed for students of Spanish as a foreign language (ELE) who desire to progress quickly in their command of the Spanish language, and want to dedicate their time in Spain to take a closer look at the Spanish society and culture.
      Each course has a limited student size of 8 to 10 people, so each of our students receives a close attention and a personalized dedication from our team.
      The program is offered to international students with an Intermediate level of Spanish
      Our method is different to that offered by other existing organizations, since we combine teaching in traditional classes with a program of workshops and immersion activities with local associations, promoting a direct contact with the Spanish society.
      Please find out more about us at www.melibea.org.
    • By binaobn
      A proven grammar-based approach that gets you communicating in Spanish with confidence, right away

Easy Spanish Step by Step proves that a solid grounding in grammar basics is the key to mastering a second language. Grammatical rules and concepts are clearly explained in order of importance, and more than 300 verbs and key terms are introduced on the basis of frequency. Numerous exercises and engaging readings help learners quickly build their Spanish speaking and comprehension prowess.

download the book.
      https://goo.gl/yuVQpP

• By AlfonsoSpanishPlus
      Hi everyone, My name is Alfonso and I work in Spanish Plus, a great program for learning Spanish, it´s already a consolidated enterprise proudly made in Venezuela, if you or anyone you know might be interested in the program I can offer a free class so you can see how it works... you can contact me through my email address for more information Spanishplusmarketing@gmail.com or check our website www.spanishplusweb.com we´ll be launching our new landing page soon! we have the lowest price on the web and the most interesting features thanks for your time.
      Flyer Design Challenge.pdf
    • By CesarT.
      A little while back, I made my on-line “Spanish Pronunciation Workshop” available for free to all members of this forum. I decided to do it again. So, here it is...!
      I have also developed a “SER & ESTAR Workshop” but I would REALLY like some feedback on the Pronunciation Workshop. The "SER and ESTAR" workshop is fully developed but is not free. Check it out, if you wish.
      So, por favor, if you have a little free time, click on the link below, complete the course, leave your comments (for other participants to see) OR send me your feedback (bueno o malo) to:  cesar@torreblanca.ca

Muchas gracias...!