It's not my site but...

I believe you all might find it useful. WordBrewery is a new website that pulls sentences from the news. They are then categorized by level and topic. There's also a search bar so you can find specific words in context. Audio, translation, and the source article are included.

It's also possible to save words and sentences to lists, and export these to Anki.

It's currently free to use. Like every other app, all you need to do is register.

Personally...

I use it for German, as it doesn't have Hindi yet. But it's rather nice, because it's hard to find advanced materials for many languages I'm interested in, such as Modern Greek and Arabic. I use it as a warm up and to find context to words. I'm also considering using Anki, so if I decide to, I'll start exporting all my lists.

Current Languages:

• Arabic
  • Spanish
  • French
  • Italian
  • Portuguese
  • English
  • Swedish
  • Russian
  • Serbian
  • Japanese
  • Modern Greek
  • Polish
  • Hungarian
  • Ukrainian
  • Norwegian 
  • Korean 
  • Chinese
  • German
Nicolay Shinkin likes this

On 2/11/2017 at 10:37 AM, Nicolay Shinkin said:

Wow! A huge number of languages!

That's true! I was very excited to see that they have Modern Greek. A few years ago I could barely find anything for it. Over time I assume they will continue adding languages.

This website looks indeed promising :) I will work on it to improve in Spanish. I wonder is it totally free ?

On 2/15/2017 at 10:08 PM, Filiger said:

This website looks indeed promising I will work on it to improve in Spanish. I wonder is it totally free ?

Their Spanish has native audio, I think, for the beginner levels. 

They just released the premium subscription, so you have to pay to get access to all the features. But even the free package is nice if you want to try it out. 
I'm considering buying the subscription, honestly, because I study more than one language and they said the subscription money is going towards providing more services.

Update:

WordBrewery is looking for learners to help report site bugs and give feedback. They are willing to offer a 1-month free premium subscription for those who are interested in helping out. As WB is a start-up and doesn't have funding, it is highly dependent on its users. The benefit being that WB generally listens to its users and reads every message in an effort to improve. ^_^ 

Please let me know if you are interested in helping out.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By MoshePupkin
      Hope I’m not violating any rules here. I’ve created an Android app for Chinese pronunciation practice. All user interactions are voice-based, therefore it can be used while driving or cycling or just at home. 
      Here is the link to Google Play: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.rnk.handsfree.chinese.handsfreechinesemandarintonesandsounds
      For a limited time (one week, starting from tomorrow) I’m offering a 50% discount. 
    • By mextalki
      So, what's Mextalki?
      We're a growing Youtube Channel aimed to increase your vocabulary set as well as your listening skills by providing videos of authentic conversations with subtitles in both English and Spanish as well as including for each video "key-vocabulary" that will help you understand much better what we're saying.
      We offer to your disposal 3 kind of videos:
      -Spanish in the world - conversations (featuring different accents of native-speaking countries) Example https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TOzNSWH7wpc
      -Lessons in context for beginners (vocabulary and expressions used in context) Example https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EzNTsunFQ0o
      -Conversation about any topic (here we provide an example of how people actually speak, each conversation has many useful words and expressions commonly used) Example https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71dOOTJLwFQ
      If you have any suggestion or recommendation please let us know. We want you to have the best quality videos!
    • By MC62750
      Hi, I'm going away to college and really want to begin learning French. I enjoy the language, my family has French Canadian roots, there are numerous French authors I look forward to reading in their original words, and I'm particularly fond of Quebec and hope to spend some time there eventually. However, my question is about the myths of prejudice against American English speakers like me: speaking only of Quebec, are French speakers at all unkind or unwelcoming to American English speakers who are learning French, or native English speakers in general? Will I feel welcomed or condescended to as a non-native French speaker? I appreciate your thoughts. - Matt
    • By denis_murphy
      Do you struggle with a lack of self-confidence when it comes to speaking a foreign language? When I first started learning French I had a lot of insecurities and feelings of self-consciousness that made it very difficult to speak. When I wanted to speak I would feel very uncomfortable and often I would stay silent. Gradually I started to become more comfortable with feeling uncomfortable which allowed me to grow as a person and in the language itself. I since went on to learn Spanish and Italian in a couple of months as I became more aware of my psychology and the language hacks I could start using from this new found freedom of mind. 
      I am currently offering a 4 Week Course where I will help you to get out of your own way and begin to make progress in your foreign language from Week 1. I will also help you develop into the language learner you wish to be. Using my own experience, I will help you to ask better quality questions and to bring a sense of joy to your learning journey once again. 
      Looking forward to hearing from you!
      Denis