Linguaholic

How do you test your progress?

I have been trying to learn spanish for the past year and I feel like Im learning until I watch or listen to Spanish radio/TV then I realize just how much I DONT know.  To try and track my progress I take a spanish level A1 test every month to see if Im gaining any progress.  Over the last 6months I have taken the test 6 times.  Worse grade was 4/10 best grade 6/10  which was my latest test so I am improving even if its at a slow rate.  I was just interested in how other judge their progress?

Every Month I take an article from Newspaper and I try understanding it. If I recongnize vocs then I know I am improved.

Anyway I work Spanish a little bit every day and every week I revise the past week. I know I learn sth and for me it is enough

• 5 months later...

Every day I pause to narrate what I am doing, for example, en este momento, estoy escribiendo este mensaje, y espero que tu puedas entenderme.

I view myself as making progress when referring less and less to the tools I use for learning. In this manner also, I discover words I commonly use in English that I have yet to learn.

For me by far the most challenging thing about learning Spanish is use of the reflexive and passive "se" as well as the associated syntax. But reading a newspaper might be a better way to gauge progress.