Linguaholic

Needing advice on study habits

Tdyoung

I am looking for advice on some study habits. I want a routine I can try to follow and make progress with. I already know some from school, and what I learn in school was really good, but I'm lacking in the listening skills. I have tried to keep studying on my own, but I only seem to keep myself at my current level, but can't seem to make any actual progress and remember new vocab or grammar. Any advice would be helpful. Thank you.

On 15.2.2017 at 4:16 AM, Tdyoung said:

I am looking for advice on some study habits. I want a routine I can try to follow and make progress with. I already know some from school, and what I learn in school was really good, but I'm lacking in the listening skills. I have tried to keep studying on my own, but I only seem to keep myself at my current level, but can't seem to make any actual progress and remember new vocab or grammar. Any advice would be helpful. Thank you.

Hey Tdyoung

Could you please provide some info about your goals/motivation in regard to learning German? That would be useful! Thank you.

My motivation is from wanting to be better for my girlfriend as well as wanting to be able to converse when I'm in Germany. While I was there, I found it difficult to understand what was being said. My goal is to learn more vocab and become better with grammar, and be able to fully converse with someone in Germany. My long term goals would include the continuation of studying and eventually fluency.

• 2 weeks later...
On 16.2.2017 at 4:48 PM, Tdyoung said:

My motivation is from wanting to be better for my girlfriend as well as wanting to be able to converse when I'm in Germany. While I was there, I found it difficult to understand what was being said. My goal is to learn more vocab and become better with grammar, and be able to fully converse with someone in Germany. My long term goals would include the continuation of studying and eventually fluency.

Sounds like you have some strong motivation to learn it, that's great. I really do think that the best way to learn a language is immersion. It has been said many times here on linguaholic.com. So if you are back in Germany again, just force yourself to speak whenever you can. Talk to people in German as much as you can, communicate with them in German on whatsapp, change the language of your computer to German, watch movies with German subtitles. Listen to some Podcasts in German (there is the 101 Series for language learning for almost all the big languages). Podcasts are very effective in my opinion and you can listen to that stuff even when you are tired and passive. So after work, when preparing dinner, start a podcast and just listen to the episodes over and over. Listening and understanding/learning vocabulary has a lot to do with frequency. The more you hear the same words/phrases, the easier you will remember them. This sounds trivial, however it is not. It is really a key factor to learn new vocabulary and making sure that it 'sticks'. I have many more ideas. Maybe I will continue later to name some more :=)

https://www.germanpod101.com/

• 2 months later...

Hello Tdyoug,

How are you getting on with your German? I suppose that your girlfriend is German? I would suggest that you exclusively talk to her in German. It might be a little annoying at first (conversations take longer etc),but this is really the best way. I have experienced this myself. 

I highly recommend this website: 

http://www.dw.com/de/deutsch-lernen/s-2055

and this series:

Try to study a bit every day and make learning fun. 

Kind regards,

Katharina