Linguaholic

How to study language when you are busy with school

Dzi

I am currently studying in college. But I really, really want to learn Korean language, and I am finding it really hard to dedicate time to language learning because I already have too much to juggle - studies, duties as a dormitory officer, family, friends, dancing, etc. I just wanted to ask: how can I continue learning Korean when I don't have enough time to spare, since from what I read, time spent in exposure to the language is the key to learning?

Study With Us on Discord for FREE!

5 hours ago, Dzi said:

I am currently studying in college. But I really, really want to learn Korean language, and I am finding it really hard to dedicate time to language learning because I already have too much to juggle - studies, duties as a dormitory officer, family, friends, dancing, etc. I just wanted to ask: how can I continue learning Korean when I don't have enough time to spare, since from what I read, time spent in exposure to the language is the key to learning?

Well yes, I am pretty sure the time spent plays a crucial role. For instance in listening, it will be easier for your brain to recall vocabulary that you hear often (frequency is the key). So maybe you could listen to some audio (like Pimsleur, etc) while you are doing other things. I often listen to Chinese Pod while cleaning the kitchen or doing some other kind of work. It really helps me to learn and memorize new vocabulary.

One word: agenda.

Instead of doing stuff whenever you feel like doing, just schedule your tasks accordingly.
I'm using Google Calendar myself, I make a schedule like a whole month in advance.

A successful schedule looks like this:

1. Schedule your school and/or work hours first, as you have no control over them yourself.
  2. Schedule all your appointments you've already made.
  3. Schedule your learning and other activities now.

This really helps me improving my Japanese, learning Russian and working on multiple hobby projects, without interference with work. :)

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, ePutonghua said:

Learn Putonghua – Could you put these sentences in order? – www.e-Putonghua.com

20170302.jpg

B, A, C...However, your post does not have anything to do with the original question of this thread. if you want to introduce your business, please use the appropriate section for it. 

On 21.2.2017 at 1:31 AM, Dzi said:

I would recommend you to find a text with an audio and do the following steps:

1.) Translate the text (word by word) and write the translation under every word you don't understand "at first sight".

2.) Listen to the text while you're reading the original text and as you arrive to the words you don't understood, switch down to the translation (you've made) and read the words you don't now already in your NL. Do this several times, as long as you're familiar with the new words.

3.) Now you should be able to listen to the audio (without reading) and understand all the words.

4.) This is the point where the "time saver" comes in: Now store your language stuff away and continue listening to the audio. Set the volume of your computer/mobile phone to a very low level so that you just can hear all the words. Now you can do other things (like cooking, cleaning your flat, hiking etc.) and you can train yourself not to concentrate at all on your audio (it's possible, I made it too) what will allow you to do more "advanced" tasks while listening (studying, reading, homework, writing).

The good thing about this method is, that you don't have to practice but instead you delegate the practicing to your brain (this is what happens when listening unconsciously to your text). You will sometimes "detect" a word or two and then return to your task you're concentrating on - this is normal ;)...

Me myself I learned a lot with this "time saving method" (called the "method of Birkenbihl", by the way) and I'm now even learning complex latin texts with this method - it works like magic...

Greetings, Jonas

• 5 years later...
On 3/2/2017 at 8:45 AM, jonasclick said:

I would recommend you to find a text with an audio and do the following steps:

1.) Translate the text (word by word) and write the translation under every word you don't understand "at first sight".

2.) Listen to the text while you're reading the original text and as you arrive to the words you don't understood, switch down to the translation (you've made) and read the words you don't now already in your NL. Do this several times, as long as you're familiar with the new words.

3.) Now you should be able to listen to the audio (without reading) and understand all the words.

4.) This is the point where the "time saver" comes in: Now store your language stuff away and continue listening to the audio. Set the volume of your computer/mobile phone to a very low level so that you just can hear all the words. Now you can do other things (like cooking, cleaning your flat, hiking etc.) and you can train yourself not to concentrate at all on your audio (it's possible, I made it too) what will allow you to do more "advanced" tasks while listening (studying, reading, homework, writing).

The good thing about this method is, that you don't have to practice but instead you delegate the practicing to your brain (this is what happens when listening unconsciously to your text). You will sometimes "detect" a word or two and then return to your task you're concentrating on - this is normal ;)...

Me myself I learned a lot with this "time saving method" (called the "method of Birkenbihl", by the way) and I'm now even learning complex latin texts with this method - it works like magic...

Greetings, Jonas

Thanks for this useful tips!

• 1 year later...

Thank you, everyone, for these useful tips. I'm also a student and it's indeed hard to find time for learning a new language. But I still try to learn a little every day. I use Duolingo because it's a good app for learning and practicing.

When I go somewhere I listen to music and podcasts on French ( it's the language I learn ) to hear correct pronunciations and new words.

And I work on my time management skills to have time for everything. I also learn English as it's my second language, and for now, the hardest for me is writing. From time to time I use https://essays.edubirdie.com/thesis-writing when I need to finish such a paper because for now, writing is very hard for me. And without help, I can miss a deadline or get too low a grade. So I work on my writing skills and use professional help when there is need.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello! You're doing a great job managing your time and incorporating language learning into your daily routine! Learning through apps like Duolingo and exposing yourself to music and podcasts in the language you're learning are effective ways to enhance your skills. Studying in college also requires other tasks. Essay writing is a very common task. If there are difficulties with this task, it is necessary to ask for help. Additionally, it's completely okay to seek professional help https://buyinternalassessment.com when needed, especially for writing assignments. Good Bye!