Linguaholic

One question about verbs

henrique

I was reading about german verbs and I’ve seen that when there is a consonant before M or N we may add est in the du form, for example “du atmest"

But, the wohnen verb the correct is “du Wohnst” even with the consonant “H” before N

Whats happen in this case?

Study With Us on Discord for FREE!

3 hours ago, henrique said:

I was reading about german verbs and I’ve seen that when there is a consonant before M or N we may add est in the du form, for example “du atmest"

But, the wohnen verb the correct is “du Wohnst” even with the consonant “H” before N

Whats happen in this case?

I don't really know about this specific rule but almost all of the German verbs just end in -st for the 2rd person singular. Do you have other examples of verbs that actually have consonants before M or N. Can't think of any at the moment. Probably because I am too tired :=)

Best

M

34 minutes ago, linguaholic said:

I don't really know about this specific rule but almost all of the German verbs just end in -st for the 2rd person singular. Do you have other examples of verbs that actually have consonants before M or N. Can't think of any at the moment. Probably because I am too tired :=)

Best

M

thanks for reply :)

i've found this article here about this rule with another examples but I can't to find nothing talking about H before N or M

7 hours ago, henrique said:

thanks for reply :)

i've found this article here about this rule with another examples but I can't to find nothing talking about H before N or M

I will have a look at it. thank you! 

• 5 months later...

Hello,

this is simply a matter of facilitating pronunciation. Try saying "atmst." It's a pain in the neck, isn't it? At least for native speakers of Germanic languages. A word like "wohnst" on the other hand is okay. Even that word can be spelled "wohnest" (though I believe that spelling is now relegated to the literary world and perhaps the lyrical).