Linguaholic

Learning Tamil

ashwinr1

My native language is Tamil. The language is one of the most oldest and traditional languages to have come out of India. Incidentally, it is also an extremely difficult language to learn and master. Even for a native speaker like me, am no where close to mastering the language

If anybody is interested in learning Tamil, do revert back in this thread. I might help you out to the best of my abilities!

I love Tamil! I think it is one of the most beautiful languages in the world. I have tried to study it before but unfortunately there aren't many resources  available for people who want to learn Tamil :(

I love Tamil! I think it is one of the most beautiful languages in the world. I have tried to study it before but unfortunately there aren't many resources  available for people who want to learn Tamil :(

That is true Meera, there are very few resources on the Internet for learning Tamil.

I would share as many resources as I can. Also if you are interested in learning I can always help you out!

Enakku konjam Tamil teriyum. There are many Indians of Tamil origin living in Malaysia and I used to learn a few common phrases while growing up. Most Tamils here (just as in India) do not speak Hindi and are usually trilingual in Tamil, Malay and English.

• 1 year later...

This post of mine may be in the wrong section, but as you said you were from India, it got me interested, and though it has been some time, I hope you'll still be able to provide an answer for me:

Tamil is a language spoken in India, correct? Well, what about the script, then? I am very interested in this aspect. I have had a few seminars last year on Indo-European languages and what struck me the most was the similarity in between some Sanskrit words and the words in, for example, Latin and Germanic languages. I also realise that Sanskrit is written in special script. How much does it vary? Is there anywhere people still write in Sanskrit? I know it was used for religious purposes - is it still? I'd like your personal opinion on this. It really does interest me.

• 1 year later...

I know this topic is a bit old, but I felt that I could contribute to it. One of the most effective ways to learn Tamil is by watching South-Indian movies. As crazy as it sounds, the more immersed you are in the culture, the sounds, and the sights, the more easy it is to learn a language. It could not be more true for Tamil. I also recommend taking some classes or finding some friends who speak it in addition to movies.