Linguaholic

Translate this word

Hello! I apologize if this isn't the proper forum, but I thought I'd give it a try.

My grandparents were born in Switzerland and spoke German (or the Swiss version of German). There was an area on our farm (originally their farm) that was always referred to as "The Natalie". It a small meadow next to one of the fields, at the edge of a rocky area that led down into a gorge and valley.

Is there a translation for this word? Is it a derivation of a word that we have grown to misunderstand after 70 years? 

Any insight or leads would be appreciated. Thank you!

11 minutes ago, Scheideg said:

Hello! I apologize if this isn't the proper forum, but I thought I'd give it a try.

My grandparents were born in Switzerland and spoke German (or the Swiss version of German). There was an area on our farm (originally their farm) that was always referred to as "The Natalie". It a small meadow next to one of the fields, at the edge of a rocky area that led down into a gorge and valley.

Is there a translation for this word? Is it a derivation of a word that we have grown to misunderstand after 70 years? 

Any insight or leads would be appreciated. Thank you!

hi there

I am actually Swiss and 'The Natalie' doesn't ring a bell at all. So it is supposed to be Swiss German, right? My mother tongue is Swiss German and I am pretty sure there is no word even coming close to 'Natalie'. The only thing I can think of when hearing Natalie is actually a Name (but then again rather written Nathalie). Do you have any audio source of someone actually speaking it aloud? if yes, that would probably help.

Best,

Lingua

Thank you, Lingua. I presume it is Swiss German -- my grandparents did not speak anything else besides that and English.

Also, there are no audio files. It's family lore, so who knows if it is grounded in anything realistic!

I appreciate you taking the time to answer. I guess it will just continue in the annals as one of those quirky things that no one knows how it originated. :-)