Linguaholic

Any Other Ones?

deyvion

• 2 weeks later...

Hej!

I'm also Swedish! But I'm cursed with half of my genes coming from the USA and we were rudely uprooted from Malmö when I was 7 years old and had to grow up in the frozen wasteland of northern MN!

Hej!

I'm also Swedish! But I'm cursed with half of my genes coming from the USA and we were rudely uprooted from Malmö when I was 7 years old and had to grow up in the frozen wasteland of northern MN!

I would have to say that Sweden is getting frozen now also as we are getting into the winterseason, haha.

Are you still speaking Swedish at home?

We actually don't speak Swedish at home anymore:( When we started school in the U.S we didn't really know any English so we started speaking that...

Then for some reason my mom didn't realize that suddenly we weren't speaking Swedish anymore.

So now I'm really really bad at it, but I understand it.

• 3 months later...

I'm half Swedish too, and grew up bilingual. I left Sweden after high school but I've managed to keep my Swedish fluent although I don't speak it every day any more. I find that reading in Swedish (or any other language that I'm not getting much practice in) really helps me to keep it active.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm half Swedish too, and grew up bilingual. I left Sweden after high school but I've managed to keep my Swedish fluent although I don't speak it every day any more. I find that reading in Swedish (or any other language that I'm not getting much practice in) really helps me to keep it active.

I am half Swedish too, but unfortunatelly, my parents did NOT raise me to be bilingual. They were worried that if my mother spoke Spanish to me and my brother while my father was away on long business trips, we would start speaking Swedish with a Spansih accent. This happened to my uncle's children, so I guess their worries were justified, but in my cousin's case both the parents spoke Spanish and neither of them were very good at Swedish.

So, I am jealous of your bilingualism =)

• 7 months later...

I'm not Scandinavian, but I'm familiar with Scandinavian people, specially Norwegian.  I have the fondest memories of Norwegian and Swedish people, their country.  Great people, I like how Norwegian only mind their own business, but once you become friends you really can get close enough to them and have a meaningful friendship.

I truly like this because you can tell the friendship is sincere and wanted by both parties, unlike with people from other countries that start so open and nice since the start and continue that way, so you don't really know where you are standing with them.  Not cool.