viktor77727

Is it possible to replace your native language with a different language?

I want to replace my mother tongue (Polish) with English. I live in England, all of my friends are English, I watch British TV, listen to English music, achieved grade 7 at English GCSE, I avoid Polish people (except for my family) and everything related to Poland, but I still think in Polish...can I change it? I hate Polish, Poland and the Polish culture and I really want to make English my primary language. (or Swedish or German or French or Chinese or any other language I know) Do you know any ways to "forget" your native language?

Don't you think that's a bit drastic? I mean, it's part of your heritage, and you may feel differently about it in the future. Regarding thinking, I think in the language I'm using, and I don't believe someone can get very advanced in a language unless they do that. So just use English all the time and that will probably reduce the Polish thinking greatly.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By MukundChaskar
      Namaste / Hi,
      Are  you  interested  in language exchange, looking  for  Native  Hindi speaker  who could be  your  language exchange partner who could talk to you in English ?  All language speakers / natives   are  welcome.  Improve  Hindi / English  skills.  We  can  chat  online and one on one  too. 
      Enjoy your  stay.
      dhanaywaad / thanks,
      mdchaskar
    • By elingston
      Hello! I'm Deniz, 17 years old with a not-so great memory. I do have the motivation for learning another language, but not really the time as I am taking college and high school classes. I was thinking thirty minutes a day for seven days a week sounds like a plan. That's 168 hours per year; 3 hours 30 minutes / per week. If I were diligent, the numbers would be higher. Do you think 30 minutes is impractical? I don't have to be fluent in the third language, but I would like to be proficient. 
      I speak fluent English as it is my native tongue and I know a good chunk of Turkish, though I should seek improvement. It is my second language; my parents speak fluent Turkish. 
      I live in USA, Texas. Majority of the people in my school are Spanish-speaking. If I were to learn Mexican-Spanish, it would benefit me as most hiring jobs pick the person that knows both Spanish and English over the person that knows only English. It is also the 2nd most spoken language. I will be taking college Spanish 1 and 2 during the summer as it is a requirement for my Associate's degree. I'm not at all interested in the language itself, even though I have many close friends who speak Spanish. I rather learn any other language, but I do realize the benefits of Spanish.
      However, I'm a sucker for Korean dramas as I have watched at least 220+ Korean dramas (consisting of 16-120 episodes that are an hour each). I have picked up a few Korean phrases, but I'm no where near a beginner level of the Korean language. I adore the language and I would love to learn Korean, especially since I plan to visit Seoul once I am in my 20's. Another thing is that my father speaks Persian (Farsi). It is his native tongue, however he only speaks English and Turkish around the house. If I were to ask him to practice Persian with me, I know he would be willing to. Though, he does not know how to read or write the language because he forgot over time. All of my dad's side speaks Persian, so I would be able to get closer to them.
      I am interested in learning either Korean, Persian (Farsi) or Mexican-Spanish. Based off the languages I already know and the background knowledge you know of me, which language do you think would be easier for me to learn? Or the best, in your opinion and why.
    • By MLLJ
      Hi everyone
      I love learning languages. It is my passion!
      I started a blog where I share my journey of learning languages. I try to explain the things that I studied and learned in a simple way,  I believe that it is a good practice for me.
      If you are interested in learning Japanese, Korean or Chinese, please take a look at my blog, you might like it!
      https://mylanguageslearningjourney.blogspot.com/2017/11/japanese-another-usage-of.html#more

• By Eltis

In a vast yet diversified country like India where dialect and languages vary for every couple of hundred kilometres, English and Hindi remain among the most widely spoken, understood and recognized languages. Along these two languages, English generally connects a lot of people who hail from areas where spoken local languages are completely different from each other i.e. Tamil and Marathi. In such cases, English acts the bridge between the individuals and enables them incommunicating with each other easily. For all other practical purposes also, English is widely hailed and used as a common language across the globe.
      Therefore learning English language becomes pertinent for any individual who aspires to build his/her career in today’s globalized economy. English language acts as a stepping stone towards success for students of all streams as well as working professionals across all the industry verticals. Developing command over any language including English comprises of developing deep understanding of vocabulary, grammar and pronunciations. Generally English is considered as a funny language because its pronunciations and vocabulary vary alot. Often similarly spelt words have different pronunciations and alphabets remain silent in many words which make the pronunciations very peculiar and it takes consistent time and effort to remember and master them. This primarily happens because roots of large quantum of English wordsoriginate from other languages like Latin, French, Spanish etc. This trait also adds lot of diversity to the language and makes it easy for people across the globe to adapt it.

ELTIS which stands for English Language Teaching Institute of Symbiosis is a Pune based institute which has been instrumental in training students from 25 plus countries in developing command over English language. ELTIS offers wide range of courses for International as well as Indian students which help them in developing command over written and spoken English. They also provide specific focus on Business English which enables the students in exceling in competitive corporate environment.ELTIS also offers specific courses for Indian students who want to learn English speaking. Institute boasts competent and qualified faculty which also helps students to learn English grammar which is often considered as one of trickiest aspects of English language.Institute also offers short term crash courses, summer courses and year long diploma courses which cater to needs of college students as well as working professionals. They also offer a course specifically designed for students who want appear in IELTS exam which provides admission gateway to 9000 plus universities worldwide.
      ELTIS is part of Pune based renowned Symbiosis International University and it has been at helm of helping out many individuals from diverse backgrounds in mastering the spoken and written English.

• By polyglot88
      Hi all! I am new here and hoping to provide value, I wanted to create a post showing you guys the programs and books I have used to aid in learning the many languages I know, I am a polyglot:) I 100% believe immersion is the most important, but if you are learning any of these languages, and can afford the books or courses, give them a shot, they all have helped me/are helping me tremendously. Much love to all!
      ALL LANGUAGES/GENERAL:
      Fluent FOREVER
      Fluent in Three Months (book)
      Rosetta Stone!
      Instant Immersion (Many languages) 
      APPS I USE: DUOLINGO, MEMRISE, QUIZLET.
      SPANISH:
      Synergy Spanish
      Learning Spanish Like Crazy
      Rocket Spanish
      Accelerated Spanish (book)
      Language Hacking Spanish (book)
      Living Language Spanish
      FRENCH:
      Rocket French
      Language Hacking French (book)
      Living Language French
      ARABIC:
      Rocket Arabic
      Living Language Arabic 
      Pimsleur Arabic
      CHINESE:
      Rocket Chinese
      Living Language Chinese
      JAPANESE:
      Rocket Japanese
      Razi Sensei (Aprende desde español)
      THAI:
      Thai Alphabet in 60 Minutes
      Pimsleur Thai
      Read Thai In 10 Days
      ITALIAN:
      Rocket Italian
      Language Hacking Italian
      Living Language Italian
      GERMAN:
      Rocket German
      Living Language German
      RUSSIAN:
      Rocket Russian
      Living Language Russian
      OTHER MISC LANGUAGES (friends have used them with great results):
      Rocket Sign Language
      Practical Hebrew
      Rocket Korean
      Rocket Hindi
      Rocket Portuguese
      Things I have used for mindset, time, focus, and success, that have all helped me on my language learning journey!:)
      Success Mind Academy (Mindset)
      Super Brain Mind Power (Mindset)
      Six Minutes To Success  (Mindset)
      Magic In Your Mind (Mindset)
      The Action Machine (Procrastination/Time Management)
      Zen Meditation (Meditation/Focus)
      Seven Minute Mindfulness (Meditation/Mind)
      Much love and good luck on your language learning adventures!!! <3
      -polyglot88