Linguaholic

Hindi Letter Writing

ghanashyam

While I was in bank, the Hindi letter writing to the local branches or offices was very popular. The bank circular would be also bilingual. But now a days, I hear people have stopped writing office letter in Hindi since many staff are from the South India who can understand the Hindi but are not able to write or read Hindi.  There should be some sponsoring by the govt to make Hindi letter more popular.

What do you say?

Study With Us on Discord for FREE!

I'm not sure about the bank situation but I think they should have a Hindi option. However I see online especially in the youtube comments and on forums that Hindi and Urdu speakers always transliterate the Hindi/Urdu and I wish they would use the script more.

My dad is an officer in the Rajasthan government and I've noticed that while quite a few documents he gets are in English, Hindi is still the predominantly used language. I am not so sure of the situation in banks but considering the fact that a lot of people who use this service don't know Hindi, we should not just force the language on them. As you said, using bilingual circulars would be a good compromise.

I have to agree with you here. Hindi letter writing is vanishing away and the government is not taking any step to rejuvenate it. They are happy to let it fade away.

That is because of the state of South India. They are still not ready to accept Hindi and since their grammar is entirely different from Aryan languages they do not like Hindi. As for govt, it cannot do much unless people themselves are in mood to accept the Hindi as an Indian national language.

That is because of the state of South India. They are still not ready to accept Hindi and since their grammar is entirely different from Aryan languages they do not like Hindi. As for govt, it cannot do much unless people themselves are in mood to accept the Hindi as an Indian national language.

Which it isn't and never was. Hindi is the most spoken language in the country but from a constitutional point of view, it is merely one of 18 state languages. Sure it is one of the two national official languages but that doesn't mean it can be imposed on people in all states. Frankly speaking, we shouldn't have it any other way.

Perhaps making it necessary to have bilingual circulars in the northern states can be a viable way.

Which it isn't and never was. Hindi is the most spoken language in the country but from a constitutional point of view, it is merely one of 18 state languages. Sure it is one of the two national official languages but that doesn't mean it can be imposed on people in all states. Frankly speaking, we shouldn't have it any other way.

Perhaps making it necessary to have bilingual circulars in the northern states can be a viable way.

I agree SpiralArchitect, Hindi should not be forced on people. India will always have a lot of languages and it should be proud of it.

It's not forced on anyone. In fact, there is no incentive to learn Hindi now. If you don't know how to converse in English, chances are you will not get a good job.

That's an issue only with the private sector. Its still possible to get decent government jobs even without knowing English.

• 2 weeks later...

Apart from the cultural heritage lost, it's a good or bad thing for India in practical terms? I thought everyone spoke Indian in your country...

Apart from the cultural heritage lost, it's a good or bad thing for India in practical terms? I thought everyone spoke Indian in your country...

No language called Indian here in India.  :tongue:

Also, you may find this interesting...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Languages_of_India

Like SpiralArctitect said, there is no language called Indian or Hindu. Hindi is the most spoken language in India, but there are probably more than a thousand languages spoken in India (I may be extraggating but it seems like it) Anyway each state has it's own language. Hindi has the most states and is understood by most people in North India. It's also the langauge of India's biggest movie industry, Bollywood and probably has the most media in it. It is extreamly close to Urdu, which is spoken in Pakistan. Examples of other languages spoken in India are Bengali (spoken in West Bengal), Tamil (spoken in Tamil Nadu), Malayalam (spoken in Kerala), Telugu (spoken in Andrha Pradesh) , Marathi (spoken in  Maharashtra), and there are many many others. India is a very diverse country.

• 5 months later...

I'd also like to add that it is a problem very common in our part of the world, India, Pakistan especially, we are so much into English that we have pretty much lost the grounds of our national languages, more in script than speaking as of yet, and the issue is more in youth which is quite concerning actually.