Linguaholic

Greetings from Chicago.

evapfromm

Hello!

My name is Eva. I am a 21-year-old German native, currently living in the Chicagoland area. I moved to America around 2001, when I was only nine years old. My family still mostly lives in Germany, but my father, my brother and I live here. The reason I moved to America is because my father met a woman online, fell in love, and swiftly got married in Las Vegas.

I am desperately trying to hold onto my German language abilities. Since finding another German speaker in America is a bit of a rare find, I am losing the ability to speak my native tongue as the years go by. I am perfectly fluent in English now, and do not even have an accent anymore. I still speak and understand German well, but my ability to write in in could use a lot of practice. :)

Welcome! I live not too far from Chicago and used to live in the city. One of my favorite restaurants used to be Berghoff, but they closed it some years back. That was the closest one could get to German food in the Loop. They used to make their own beer and rye bread, too. I was so sad when it closed.

I have been to Germany but it was many years back. I went to Octoberbest in Munchen with some friends. There's so much more of country I would love to see. Do you get to travel there often?

Thank you!

I was about to say that I might give Berghoff a try, but how disappointing that it closed down. I really can't name a German restaurant in the Chicagoland area that I like. They all seem to close as soon as I discover them.

I only get to travel there to see my sisters in Berlin, Mannheim and Stuttgart every few years. We both could probably use a vacation there, just to explore the rest of Germany.

Hallo Eva, welcome to linguaholics. I used to worked in Chicago and I also been to germany last year. I stayed there for few mos for a vacation. I'm also trying to learn German at the moment. I find it hard to do that since I don't hear it very often unlike when I was there. Anyway, I hope you will also enjoy being here as much as we do.

Hello kitkat0124. Thank you for the welcome. :) It's always easier to pick up a language when you're living in that country, I find. I was able to pick up English within a year of moving to America. But don't give up!

Hi Eva, yes you are right that it's easier to learn it your in the place wherein you can practice and hear constantly the language you are learning. I'm not giving up. As the old saying goes "if there's a will, there's a way" :grin: