Linguaholic

German children's books?

evapfromm

Is anybody here familiar with good German books for kids? I grew up in Germany until I was around 10, and I was wondering if anybody here knew of any that I might be familiar with. The ones that stand out in my mind are a book about a man with many hats, and one about an intelligent cat. Beats me what the name of them are, though! I wish I could remember. Feel free to share your favorites!

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

You should check out "Grimms Märchen" which is a collection of hundreds of tales that were then written down by the famous "Gebrüder Grimm". It has tales in it like "Sterntaler" (The Star Money), "Dornröschen" (Rosebud), "Schneewittchen" (Snow Drop) et cetera. There is a second book you should take a look at, unfortunately I don't remember it's name, it was a fairly thick book and it had a story for each day of the year about the "Heinzelmännchen". My mother used to read it for me before going to bed when I was still a child.

You should check out "Grimms Märchen" which is a collection of hundreds of tales that were then written down by the famous "Gebrüder Grimm". It has tales in it like "Sterntaler" (The Star Money), "Dornröschen" (Rosebud), "Schneewittchen" (Snow Drop) et cetera. There is a second book you should take a look at, unfortunately I don't remember it's name, it was a fairly thick book and it had a story for each day of the year about the "Heinzelmännchen". My mother used to read it for me before going to bed when I was still a child.

Excellent recommendations! While checking out the fair tales of the Grimm brothers, you should also consult the Grimm brothers dictionary. It is free and you can consult it online here:

http://woerterbuchnetz.de/DWB/

It is an excellent dictionary which contains unique information about semantics and etymology of words and phrases.

I remember I read the "Beauty and the Beast" in German, which I didn't understand at all. However, the book also has English next to it, so people would be able to read the book in English if they don't understand German. It was a great book, and was one of my favorite fairy-tales.