Linguaholic

Nyob zoo!

nkaujntses

Nyob zoo, sawv daws! Hello everyone! I currently live in California, USA. I am fluent in Hmong and English, with Hmong being my native language.

What is Hmong (as that is a question I get a lot)? Hmong, also known as Miao, is a Chinese ethnic minority. The Hmong outside of China prefer to identify themselves as Hmong rather than Miao. For me personally, I don't mind either way. There are many subgroups of the Miao ethnicity with many languages as well.

The Hmong language is also known as Chuanqiandian. As stated, there are many branches of the Hmong language with many dialects. I am only familiar with Western Hmong language and the Romanized Popular Alphabet Hmong written language (RPA Hmong). The Western Hmong language has 2 dialects: White Hmong (Hmoob Dawb) and Green Hmong (Hmong Ntsuab/Hmoob Lees). I am a White Hmong speaker, reader, and writer. I can understand 50% of Green Hmong.

I have always had a fascination and interest in language. I took French 4 years in high school with the hopes of taking a trip to France after high school. That never happened, but I loved every minute of French class. I do plan on revisiting the French language one of these days. This forum looks like it may be great help.

Thank you for reading!

Welcome nkaujntses, I hope you enjoy linguaholic.  :grin:

Actually I've seen a great movie in which they were talking about Hmongs, a movie with Clint Eastwood, can't really recall the name, but I really enjoyed it.

The film is called Gran Torino! It's a fantastic movie!

Yes. "Gran Torino" is a film with a storyline with Hmong people and Hmong actors. Like all Hollywood films, there were some misconceptions and generalizations, but it is an enjoyable movie.

The movie was really great, I saw it twice already, but I am terrible with names, I blasted my mind studying languages...

I know what you mean nkau, I bet if they made a movie about Portuguese I'd feel the same way. :)