Linguaholic

When to use the different Japanese words for "but".

Sarah676

Hey, so I have a question. I'm currently learning Japanese, and I find myself unsure about the difference between "demo", "kedo" and "ga" (all words for "but"). Does anybody have a simple way to remember which is which, and in what context each word should be used?

Thanks so much for any help you can offer!

Study With Us on Discord for FREE!

I'll try to explain how I use it. But keep in mind that I'm also a student so I might not be correct :P

でも (demo) - I use "demo" at the beginning of the sentence. For example: 新しいパソコンがほしいです。でもお金がない。(I want a new computer. But I have no money).

が (ga) - This is used like the English "but" which connects two clauses. Example: 新しいパソコンがほしいですが、おかねがない。(I want a new computer, but I have no money).

けど (kedo) - This is kind of like が (ga) and it can be used interchangeably with が (ga). But I usually use it like a "regrettable" but. Example: 新しいパソコンがほしいですけど、おかねがない。(I want a new computer, but [unfortunately] I have no money).

Another word for but is "しかし” (shikashi). I see it used on Japanese television for emphasis, but it's not really used in speaking.

Hope this helps a bit ^__^

Miya, your explanation was definitely helpful. :) It's interesting what you say about "kedo" being more "regrettable". I'd never consciously thought about it that way but now that I think about the times I've seen it used, that makes a lot of sense. thanks so much for your help!

Another word for but is "しかし” (shikashi). I see it used on Japanese television for emphasis, but it's not really used in speaking.

I asked my sensei about しかし (shikashi) today. It turns out it can also be used in speaking as a more formal form of でも (demo). It's still more common in writing but when you want to speak formally, you can use しかし (shikashi) instead of でも (demo).

• 1 year later...

I get problems with this too. When in doubt, I just go for what I know. I'll probably be corrected afterwards but I know they'll at least understand what I'm trying to convey. In this case, I'd probably overuse the word 'demo' as the meaning for 'but'.

• 1 month later...

Thanks for that explanation. I always wondered why "kedo" was always followed by a negative or unfortunate statement. And ga was used always a comma. Now it all makes sense.

Man, depending on their mode of speaking and writing I think the Japanese have like 100 meanings for one word. It's a truly complex and beautiful language.

• 2 months later...

I am familiar with the particle ga for but; in fact, we discussed it in our Nihongo classes two weeks ago.  I have also heard of the word demo, but in case of the latter, I hear it more often in movies and some anime shows.  I have yet to encounter shikashi and kedo, but most likely in future Nihongo classes that I will be taking.