Linguaholic

Basic Verb Conjugation

eruvande

• 3 weeks later...

Study With Us on Discord for FREE!

Swedish verbs are categorized into several groups and sub-groups. I would say that there is no one basic rule for present and past tense of verbs, and you have to know each of them by heart if you are to use them properly. One example, which is the easiest, is the first verb group. These are words that end with the letter a in its infinitive form. The word "show", meaning to "show someone or something" translates directly to the verb "visa". It then becomes

Present tense: visar  = showing

Past tense: visade = showed

Supine or Past Participle: har visat = has shown

Other verb groups transform according to what letter they end, or how the last letter or vowel of the verb sounds. To answer your last question, irregular verbs are the most difficult to learn because they have separate rules, where the vowels change when the verb is used in present, past, and supine tenses.

• 3 months later...

I realise now that it is really hard to explain your own language to someone who's learning it for the first time. I know all the right forms of every word in the swedish language but if I tried to explain it it would probably just get really messy and confusing. To me it's so obvious that "visa" becomes "visade" in past tense that I don't even think about why. It's just "how it's supposed to be". Interesting.

• 2 weeks later...

Swedish verbs are categorized into several groups and sub-groups. I would say that there is no one basic rule for present and past tense of verbs, and you have to know each of them by heart if you are to use them properly. One example, which is the easiest, is the first verb group. These are words that end with the letter a in its infinitive form. The word "show", meaning to "show someone or something" translates directly to the verb "visa". It then becomes

Present tense: visar  = showing

Past tense: visade = showed

Supine or Past Participle: har visat = has shown

Other verb groups transform according to what letter they end, or how the last letter or vowel of the verb sounds. To answer your last question, irregular verbs are the most difficult to learn because they have separate rules, where the vowels change when the verb is used in present, past, and supine tenses.

Pardon me if I get this wrong (my swedish isn't SOOO good)

About irregular verbs,  many of the irregular verbs in Swedish are also irregular in English (strong verbs)