Linguaholic

Essay writing, suggestions?

rebel

Hey.

Recently I've been spending some time to write different essays. I like the style and I believe it's very useful, especially if you are still in school. Doing some test essays in your free time will not only save you work and effort when it comes down to actually writing it as a homework assignment, but will also help to improve your performance, so in case you got nothing to fill your free time with, I strongly suggest it.

Either way. What are your main concerns when you write an essay? Are you worried about the thesis, the pros or the cons perhaps, or it's something else? Do you have any tricks to share? 

Doing some test essays in your free time will not only save you work and effort when it comes down to actually writing it as a homework assignment, but will also help to improve your performance, so in case you got nothing to fill your free time with, I strongly suggest it.

I agree completely.  Writing, like everything else that we diligently practice, will improve.  Our skills as well as our self-confidence will grow with such practice. 

I think people are sometimes overwhelmed or intimidated by the idea of writing.  But it just a matter of disciplining and buckling down to do the work.  Seeing the progress you make is gratifying. 

The American University of Cairo has posted a useful guide that may help you with your essay,

How To Write An Essay: 10 Easy Steps;

http://www1.aucegypt.edu/academic/writers/

Great resource!  Thanks for sharing it with us.  We're fortunate to have so many online resources for virtually everything related to language learning and writing. 

For essay writing tips, this is one of my favorites from Purdue OWL.

https://owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/resource/685/01/

I enjoy the freedom of writing with the inspiration of the given topic. However if there's one thing I don't like about writing them for school, it's the fact that they can be judged subjectively. That's not saying all grades given are unfair, because there is a lot of objective criteria like spelling, grammar, structure, syntax etc., etc...but sometimes I've found myself losing marks because of a differing opinion. My main concern is that no matter how strong my argument could be, I may not be able to maximize my score based on a fundamental disagreement of topic.

When it comes to essays, regardless of the language used, I'd usually just focus most on the structure and try to make it flow as well as I can and put in as much detail and information as I can. When I talk of structure, I'm pertaining to the parts namely: introduction, body, and conclusion. Keeping this in mind made me really efficient with writing essays, and even though I don't really get the top score for it, I usually get above average.

Regardless of what language you are writing in, you need to have the basic structure. You want to have a defined introduction, body, and conclusion. It doesn't matter how good your grammar is if your essay is sloppy and incohesive.

• 9 years later...

This is so great that I came across this language-learning forum. Unfortunately, there are not so many of them around the web. The topic of essays that is uncovered here is great. this is one of the most popular tasks provided for the students. Speaking about my own life experience I would say that it was rather hard to write a list of exclusive essays when I was at college. As a result, I was looking for an assistant and my friend told me about one place which helped me.