Linguaholic

What got you motivated to study that language?

rebel

Just wondering what got you motivated to start learning the language you're on at the moment. I'm currently studying German because of the opportunities it could provide me with someday. I also believe that they have very interesting history. Nevertheless, I find it easy to study languages in that language group.

I'm currently learning Spanish. What motivated me to learn this language was the fact that it's a really common language around the world. Also, I've learnt some Spanish earlier in my life, and I felt like I should go on learning it.

I started studying Japanese for two reasons: Because I really like the way the language sounds, and because I have an interest in Japanese culture. I visited Japan for a month and really enjoyed it, and I would love to live there someday. Surprisingly, I'm not a big Manga or Anime fan; I say "surprisingly" because most other Japanese-learners I've met were at least partially motivated by their love of Manga/Anime.

At my high school, we had to try all of the options subjects in our first year. This included languages like Japanese, Chinese, Spanish and Maori. I really enjoyed Japanese because I liked the challenge of learning a whole new alphabet, and I've always thought that Japan is really cool country and one which I'd like to visit some time. This meant that I ended up taking Japanese the next year, and I haven't regretted it at all :)

I am currently studying and learning Hangeul and the reason why I am very motivated to learn eagerly the language is because I moved from another country my husband native land. And I really have to learn it seriously as well as their culture :)

I went on holiday for 2 weeks to the area, and fell inlove with the way they speak, so when I got home I decided to learn it.

My inspiration to learn Latin started at school, It was either German, French or Latin and I chose Latin. I got a good qualification in it (B) and once the lesson stopped at school I took it up in my own time. Took me around a year to learn properly.

I'm trying to learn Japanese because I watch a good number of Japanese shows and I really would like to understand them in their purest form. Also, it probably would be nice to be able to speak a lot easier knowing Japanese if ever I go and stay in Japan for a while, which I'm really planning to do in the future.

The factor that got me motivated to take it to the next level in my knowledge of my bloodlines language, would have to be the substantial pride that I had gained throughout my early teens. When you really learn to actually care and appreciate your legacy and your ancestors. You become more questionable and curious to what they were like, how they lived or even what they're names were.

Doesn't sound too interesting, I know, but growing up being Greek, it's not necessarily the fact that of wanting to learn or not or do things a different way from your surroundings, it's more of a norm in the Greek Culture. Pride, would have to be my answer of my own heritage, and also some curiosity, of how I became the person I am today, if there were any significance or high superior to my bloodline history. Which I did find out, that my direct ancestors, are the 300 Spartans during the time my father was trying to find his birth parents in Greece, just to let them know "he was alright, and he made it," that was all.

I've been learning English initially because I was playing a certain game online years ago and I wanted to be able to communicate with others on there that were speaking English for the most part. then I continued learning out of necessity because I'm a freelance web / app developer and the vast majority of books and other resources on the subject is only available in English.

It was fun learning though, I don't feel like I actually had to put any effort into it.

:tongue:

I have a Chinese girlfriend and she does speak Mandarin and Cantonese.This is a reason I want to learn Chinese eventhough we both can speak English.

Another reason is that there are so many Chinese people around the world, I think that many service want to hire someone who can speak many languages.

These are two reasons made me study Chinese as soon as possible. :grin:

Have a nice day, you guys!

• 3 months later...

I am a very religious person so when I heard tales that the bible had been doctored by Catholics and other translators, I decided that there was no point in relying on fancy translations if I wanted to learn only the truth. That's why I decided to start learning some Hebrew. Yeah I know I have to learn Greek later but well. . .it's a sacrifice I am willing to  make.

Well I've always wanted to become fluent at one, and German had many advantages. It is probably the most useful foreign language for an English speaker in Europe to learn. It's similar to English in many ways, I enjoy German media so when I do use it for practice, it's not a chore. Many reason really.

I'm currently studying Nihongo and I wanted to learn it because I like watching Japanese anime, variety shows, films and dramas, but I just never got the motivation to do so, probably because of the fact that fansubs are always there to do the translation for me  :grin: . But the past few months the fansub group doing the translation of the variety shows I watch is kinda slow and the episodes are already piling up, and I realized that I can't keep relying on fansubs to do the translation forever and now is the time for me to learn the language. Kinda silly reason to learn a language, isn't it?  :tongue:

I'm currently studying Nihongo...

I was just about to ask what language that was but alas, it's Japanese :P I should have recognized from Nihon. I have a few friends who have studied Japanese for that reason. I learned hiragana but never got much further at all. Only 1 of the people I knew who studies Japanese, and indeed the only one who succeeded didn't do it for anime.

Well if the only reason for studying Japanese is because of anime alone then they are most likely to give up along the way. Like I mentioned earlier, there are numerous fansub groups willing to translate just about every anime title out there, so most international anime fans won't see much reason to continue learning the language when they are being spoon fed with translations. That is not the case for TV dramas and variety shows. English subtitles are rare for dramas and varitey shows. I love Japanese entertainment as a whole, not just anime, so I want to understand all the shows that I watch and all the Jpop songs I hear.

My point is, you really have to love the culture, not just one aspect of it, in order for you to be passionate about learning the language.