Linguaholic

Let us know about the best book you ever read, one you can never forget.

KimErikson

We all have that unforgettable book, one you  just can´t wait to get back to, and when it´s finished we feel lost! Mine, although I have a few, has to be `Shantaram`, by Gregory David Roberts. It is set in the Bombay underworld in the 80´s and goes from one unbelievable event to the next. The whole time you are reading it, it feels like it is the true, detailed story of the author´s life, and I think it IS largely based on events that took place, but some are just so hectic and crazy that you just can´t believe it. The author has become somewhat of an icon and ended up marrying a princess. He made Leopold´s cafe in Bombay world famous too, and no trip to the city is complete without curiosity getting the better of you to have a glimpse into the place where it all took place.

Have you read Shantaram or any other unforgettable book?

Study With Us on Discord for FREE!

I'm not a book reader. I generally only read articles because I find it hard to commit to an entire book. With that said, I read a lot of great books in highschool. One book that stuck out was "The Stranger" by Albert Camus.

To not give away the plot, I will just say that I have never read a book that created that kind of feeling. The main character's apathy made the severity of the situation in the book seem comical. It is hard to explain. You just have to read it.

• 3 weeks later...

The book that I would deem as unforgettable would be The 5 People You Meet In Heaven by Mitch Albom. He is an absolutely incredible author and some of you may know him from his most famous book Tuesdays With Morrie. Albom has a very distinct habit of writing in a very relatable and well paced way. If you've never read some of his books I would highly recommend that you do!

There are too many to even begin to list.  One book I wish I could find again is called The Game, and it was about a group of teenagers in a dystopian future where robots were replacing everyone and there were no jobs, so they lived in essentially ghettos.  They then got selected to play a game, they would go, get plugged in and explore this world.  In the end, the game was a simulation to prepare them for being dropped on an unpopulated world with a bunch of other teenagers as an attempt to colonize/escape the polluted Earth.  It was an interesting concept I didn't fully appreciate when I was younger, hence wanting to read it again, but I can never find it.

The best book I have ever read is the slight edge. It's the only sort of personal development book I have read and it completely changed my life and the way I look at achieving my goals. I think it is a great book that can be applied to learning languages too and I would recommend that anyone check it out.

There are so many. All books by Khaled Hosseini are very close to my heart. I think he writes with an honest truth that makes the pathos of human lives seem almost poetic in its misery. I've read A Thousand Splendid Suns and The Kite Runner by him. I'm yet to read his latest.

I recently read Lord of the Flies by Golding and it shook me to the core. I'm sure I won't forget it for a long long time.

When I was a teen, I was a sucker for adventure stories. The most memorable adventure book I ever read was "The South Sea Adventure" by Willard Price. Years after I'd read the story I can still, if I wanted to, I could tell anyone the entire story without omitting any minor detail.

• 3 weeks later...

The Road by Ian McCormack. It's one of the bleakest books I've ever read and the most emotionally provocative. It spells, albeit in a metaphorical sense what we can expect in this world should a third world war destroy the world as we know it. Would people act civilized? Not likely.

The best book I've ever read is called "Lock and Key" by Sarah Dessen. It is an Young Adult Contemporary novel about a girl lives in a life that is different from most people. It kinds of relates to my life, which is the reason I like about this book. Sarah Dessen is also my favorite author, whom I read most of her books. "Lock and Key" is also part of a romance novel, which I like to read sometimes.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

One of my favourite books ever is probably Rebecca, by Daphne du Maurier. The plot is interesting and well-unfolded, but my favourite thing about it is probably the style of writing, which is completely beautiful. Another two books I'll never forget are The Night Circus, which again has amazing description and the whole idea is one which I wish was true, and When You Reach Me, which has really interesting ideas about time travel (I must have read that book at least ten times).

It is very difficult to name your best book. There cannot be only one.

Some of my favorite books are The Prophet, by Kahlil Gibran, The Book of Mirdad by Mikhail Naymi.

I also love Dostoevsky, Friedrich Nietzsche, Jorge Louis Borges. I don't really have a favourite book of all time.

A few books come to mind for me, and these are the ones that really made me love a couple of my favourite authors:

John Steinbeck's The Grapes of Wrath was what got me into his works. It's a very compelling story and written in some incredibly beautiful prose. It combines different styles and is just overall an amazing book, and one I can't forget.

Fyodor Dostoevsky's Crime and Punishment was similarly unforgettable for the way the author gets into the mind of Raskolnikov and really explores his psyche. I went through a lot of different feelings when reading that story, and feel even now that I "know" that character like an old friend.

Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn's Cancer Ward was also pretty memorable. I liked the clinical style of his prose and how it matched the clinical setting of a Russian cancer ward. Solzhenitsyn was a political prisoner in the Soviet Union and actually spent time being treated in a cancer ward, from where he gained the source material.

There are more (honourable mention to Roald Dahl's Tales of the Unexpected for being impossible to forget), but these are the ones that immediately came to mind as the ones I can never forget.

I love to read and am constantly doing so.  It is really hard to pick just one book. I could probably make this post really long with all my favorite books.  If I had to choose just one though, I would choose The Giver by Lois Lowry.  This book was such an eye opener to me.  As I read it, it started to really become believable that our world could end up the way Jonas's world was.  Everything became set for them even to the point where they knew when they would go to the House of the Old.  It was such an amazing read, if you haven't read it, I urge you to before the movie comes out.

I will never forget Perks of Being a Wallflower. It is my all time favorite book. What I will remember the most are the countless lessons about teenage years, relationships, and growing up. I took so much away from that book more than just a good story. It is a relatively easy read and I recommend it to anyone. 

• 5 weeks later...

There are way too many to list here! But, at the top of my head I loved Of Mice And Men by Steinbeck, Dream Hunters and Good Omens by Neil Gaiman, and The Little Prince by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry. I know all of these books are short but I think that that's a factor in what makes them unforgettable. These are the kind of stories that made me want to read over and over and since they are so short, it was easy to do that.

• 9 months later...

I read a book by a local author titled “Excuse me, Your Dream is Calling You”. I will never forget this book because it gave me the courage to follow my dream of writing. He gave examples of people who went through great pain for their dream to come true. This book changed my life.

Like many of the others here, there are so many books that had a great impact on me. So, it's quite difficult to pinpoint an ultimate favorite. To mention a few;

as a high school student; it would have to be The Little Prince Antoine de Saint Exupery (incidentally there's a 3D movie coming up in October 2015. Trailer has just been released) and Jonathan Livingston Seagull by Richard Bach

as an adult, books such as The Art of War by Sun Tzu, Who Moved My Cheese by Spencer Johnson, The Prophet by Kahlil Gibran, Letters to a Young Poet by Rainer Maria Rilke and so many others.