Linguaholic

Spanish Proficiency Exercises

The following link leads to a series of Spanish proficiency exercises produced by the University of Texas at Austin that you may like to try.

Spanish Proficiency Exercises is a compilation of brief video clips in which native speakers of Spanish from various locations throughout Latin America and Spain demonstrate various language tasks. The objective of the exercises is to provide students of Spanish with the necessary tools to be able to talk about the same topics in Spanish.

In order to do, this Spanish Proficiency Exercises contains five major components. First, there is a simplified video clip. This simplified version is scripted, the native speakers talks slower, and he or she uses simpler words and less slang. Second, there are video clips of native speakers who also perform the proficiency tasks. These clips are not scripted. What the native speakers say is what they really said. Some may talk fast, others talk slow, and some have specific regional dialects.

The content of these exercises cover the following

A complete index of video interviews and podcasts, as well as related grammar, vocabulary, and phrases contained in this site is listed below.  A topical grammar index and podcast help are also available.  Click on blue links to access site components.

1. Tasks: Beginning Level

2. Tasks: Intermediate Level

3. Tasks: Advanced Level

4. Tasks: Superior Level

5. Grammar Index

6. Additional Podcasts: Organized by Proficiency Level

7. Podcast Help

And this is the link to go for them,  http://www.laits.utexas.edu/spe/siteindex.php

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks so much for this. I am just starting to get back into learning and studying Spanish, but I don't know where to begin. I know I am not a beginner, but am trying to figure out what level I am so I can buy books and lessons accordingly. This is just what I needed.

• 1 month later...

Thanks for this!! I will take the test tomorrow. I can't wait to find out where I place.

I'm terrible. I never seem to move forward. I always find myself reviewing what I already know. I get a little but ahead and then end up leaving Mexico, for whatever reason, and stop studying. Then I'll return and start reviewing again, thus going in a circle.

• 1 year later...